Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is horizontal wood siding traditionally caulked on all three sides? The two ends and the bottom plus any seams. Or just the ends?

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
YIKES! Just stumbled across this thread. I don't know what the deal is, but I swear where I'm from there are some painters going around caulking the underside of lap siding! I seem to run across this all the time here. Never, ever, ever caulk the bottom of any type of wood siding.....EVER! Hehe! :cheesygri

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AAPaint said:
YIKES! Just stumbled across this thread. I don't know what the deal is, but I swear where I'm from there are some painters going around caulking the underside of lap siding! I seem to run across this all the time here. Never, ever, ever caulk the bottom of any type of wood siding.....EVER! Hehe! :cheesygri

I suspected that when I posted this. I have seen new wood siding installed and it isn't ever caulked. After a few years (like 40) you can get some big gaps from warping and customers aren't always willing to hire someone to fix the boards before we paint. My partner and I just wanted to make sure it was safe to leave these gaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts