Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build it green and recycle. That's what the clerk said at the city planing desk. After she took my check for $5,000.00 for the recycling deposit. In Orinda California you have to deposit 2% of the total value of the project for recycling. You must recycle 50% of the construction debris or you lose your deposit. That sucks.

So I'm off to the recycling yard with a load of clean wood. No painted wood or pressure treat wood. They have me dump my load on the concrete pad, right in front of the Wood Hog 7600.

Is a mattress recyclable?

More pictures of a 2500 sqft remodel with 66 epoxied holdowns and enough 6x6 and 6x8 post to build a couple of houses.

https://picasaweb.google.com/SBE.Builders/ZStudioArchitectsOrinda#

Attachments

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
It always sucks when they force your hand on what to do. Around here though anything besides metal good luck finding a spot to recycle. We ditch our cardboard in the community roll offs. It would be really nice to have a place to get rid of vinyl, always feel bad dumping a house tear off in a dumpster to and know its just gonna sit in the ground for the next million years.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,209 Posts
Way to much government input. Way to much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! 2% deposit is steep. Does it cost more to recycle the debris?

How do you/they verify that 50% is recycled?
We have to have a special receipt written out by the recycle center each time we bring in a load (clean wood, painted wood, sheetrock, concrete, stucco, sheet metal, copper, cast iron, plastic abs, electrical wiring, cardboard and just plain garbage.

Sim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice addition Sim. Couple hold downs there. I cant wait till more of the engineers from your way move up here and we get to use doubles on residential.
Chris,

I think most of our engineers are going to retire in Oregon and work part time on your plans. So you and Ty can get in the loop with double holdowns on every post. I'm installing a holdown for every 30 sqft of new floor space.

This 16' long wall has 10 holdowns and I need to install 7/8" to 5/8" transition couplers on some of the 7/8" all thread rods above the HDU8 holdown nuts for the HDU5 holdowns on the second floor. So it can have a total of 16 holdowns in the wall.

It like building a Chinese jig saw puzzle, but without the lead paint.

Sim

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are ways around the whole recycling fiasco in Ca. One of them being the Edco Satellite dump stations down here in so cal also sort the trash. So if you use certain dump stations you can claim 65% recycle with their tickets. Also, if you do run into a problem where you can't recycle 50% for whatever reason, you can go and spend a few hundred bucks and buy some cheap block and recycle it as it'll be 100% at a concrete recycle place.

·
Custom Builder
1,412 Posts
Chris,

I think most of our engineers are going to retire in Oregon and work part time on your plans. So you and Ty can get in the loop with double holdowns on every post. I'm installing a holdown for every 30 sqft of new floor space.

This 16' long wall has 10 holdowns and I need to install 7/8" to 5/8" transition couplers on some of the 7/8" all thread rods above the HDU8 holdown nuts for the HDU5 holdowns on the second floor. So it can have a total of 16 holdowns in the wall.

It like building a Chinese jig saw puzzle, but without the lead paint.

Sim
Those hold down patterns are insane to me. Ive had to do quite a few top and bottom going thru to the second floor, but never one on each side. Cant wait.

I dont mind them moving up here really. They usually live in the types of houses I frame, just gives me more work.:laughing: Also the more hardware they put in the house the more of the competition bows out or has the chance of messing something up bad by missing it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The amount of hardware you guys are required to use is mind blowing. I sill plated my next house today, 2800 sqft 2 story. Not including the garage foundation, I probably had 40-50 nuts+washers. Just snuged down with a cordless impact and keep on moving.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Be careful what you wish for Kyle!

I just finished an exterior decking project (3' off the ground) that had a galvanized bracket at every wood to wood connection - it was brutal. Engineers design was way over the top, to the point where the building inspector even commented it was overkill.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I'm at the recycle center every other day, here are more pictures of the Wood Hog 7600 in action.

I'm only at 16,000 pound of recycled construction material. I need about 30,000 pounds of recycled construction material to get back my $5,000.00 deposit.

Sim

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch!

The tip of the drill chuck key broke off and I fractured my finger and got 10 stitches. Good reason to un-plug the drill while changing drill bits. I'm suprised I even still have a finger left. Bone-->Steel. The steel won.

Sim

Attachments

·
Custom Builder
1,412 Posts
Ouch!

The tip of the drill chuck key broke off and I fractured my finger and got 10 stitches. Good reason to un-plug the drill while changing drill bits. I'm suprised I even still have a finger left. Bone-->Steel. The steel won.

Sim
Ouch that suck Sim. I hate finger tip injuries.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.