Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideas on good base for stringers at bottom of deck (2-3ft above grade) steps at ground... other than poured concrete ?

Thinking of ground contact PT timber laid horizontally across bottom of steps and under stringers (and extended a few inches beyond)... and if ok, what size, how deep, etc ?

Other suggestions ?

Weather = Pacific NW (lots of rain in winter, some freezing temps but not too deep)

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Patio stones or interlock stones under each stringer.

Don't use the wood, it will only rot and make your stairs sag.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have used 4x8 concrete lintles for stairs up to 6' wide with good results.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Up here if the deck is attatched to the house, it and the stairs are req'd to have footings 4' deep under them.

·
Pro
506 Posts
i like the poured concrete pad myself. but for all sakes and purposes a railroad tie would work just as well. a 6x8 laid flat would work like a concrete pad. remember, there isn't much live load on a set of stairs. most of the dead load is carried by the upper header. tamp the dirt. and use your judgement on the size of your grade beam.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ideas on good base for stringers at bottom of deck (2-3ft above grade) steps at ground... other than poured concrete ?
where you at, akm?

one thought...3/4"- gravel packed and tamped. 2-3 ft. above grade is nothing...run a 2x6 as a kicker at the bottom of your stringers sitting on the gravel. Gravel will promote drainage so wood doesn't sit in water...

Dig down 4" - bring back up to grade w/ gravel...

Mac

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much to all for the comments !
Seems split... wood vs conc.

Still thinking of going with the ground contact incised treated landscaping timbers, 6x6, and end cut treat with all incised treated wood framing (OW closed risers etc) on top.
Guess partial to the idea of a continuous 'ftg' (eg PWF) ilo something like precast post pier ftgs under just the stringers.

Ps: Glad we are not trying to build '4ft deep' in Kirkfield, Ontario :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts