Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pricing out a new entry door for my home I decided to refinish my existing wood entry door. The door is currently stained a honey maple color. I would like opinions on staining vs. painting an entry door. Which would be best and with either option what we be the steps?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If you restain in the same color, it will be a pretty quick job. If you are looking to stain in a different color, you need to bring the door back down to raw wood (lotsa work). If you are ok with a painted surface, sand the finish off the stained door, use a good exterior primer, then top coat. Painted surfaces will always need to be maintained, peeling is always a concern. Stained surfaces will fade, and in general require less maintanance than a painted surface. G i m off to work, good luck

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you want to restain it use Bix Varnish and Stain stripper, I just did a painted door removed all the paint using Peel Away, but for removing varnish and stain use the Bix, I purchsed it at ACO Hardware. works really good just let it sit, then take a putty knife. good luck

www.frankawitz.net

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
This is more of a question of decor. Do you like a wood finish or do you want to add color to your home? Either finish will fade if subjected to direct sunlight. As Gene said, a varnished surface may require less maintenance, but a properly painted door should also last quite a few years providing you treat your home with respect.

If you have children running in and out of that entryway you may want stick with the stain/poly finish.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm curious as to when varnish outlasted paint???

I use a commercial grade aircraft stripper. It will remove everything including parts of YOU if your're not careful. Visqueen on the deck will last for a few hours but don't try to push it past two.

Clean-up is water, having a hose with spray nozzle close by is mandatory as this stuff is wicked!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts