Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were selecting windows for your own home and you wanted bronze color exterior, would you go wood clad or vinyl? It's for a farmhouse style home in climate zone 6. Price is lower on the vinyl for sure but I've never lived in a house with wood clad as I've had only vinyl and aluminum. They are double hung windows. All have grids. Budget will work either way. The vinyl is a little better on u values in those I've compared. We do both in homes we build all the time with price usually the driving factor.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If the budget truly works either way, I would go with a Marvin clad in a heartbeat.
What I planned to use as interior finish/ window trim would be a factor as well.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Seems it would be a visual choice. More future options with finishes on wood.
Vinyl, what you see is what you get.

Personally, I prefer wood.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
High quality vinyl for sure. Or go with wood clad so i have a job to do in ten years

·
Registered
551 Posts
jakejorgenson said:
Planning to have fully cased windows in at least most locations.
If I was going with a natural finish casing, I would definitely go with the natural finish window. I'm a big fan of that look.
If it's going to be at the standard white painted MDF trim around the window I would seriously consider a vinyl Milgard exterior painted window.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,781 Posts
If I was going with a natural finish casing, I would definitely go with the natural finish window. I'm a big fan of that look.
If it's going to be at the standard white painted MDF trim around the window I would seriously consider a vinyl Milgard exterior painted window.
I have been using white primed finger jointed wood for jambs, much better then MDF, IMO

·
Registered
551 Posts
Randy Bush said:
I have been using white primed finger jointed wood for jambs, much better then MDF, IMO
My lungs and I agree with you 100%.
Most paint grade is called out for Mdf in my world, especially spec work.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
We installed some Bronze Vinyl Windows recently. I was not happy with the finish on them.

They where for one of my window supplier's parents house. We where labor only and had little input on the windows themselves. It seemed that they didn't compensate for the bronze clad over the white vinyl window frame. Screen's stuck a lot and scratched the bronze off in the rails/pockets etc. They where middle of the road brand and window.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I find that Bronze painted windows will always have a little bit of an issue no matter who makes it. The ones I get are graffiti resistant and I find that helps with paint scratch issues.

If I were to stain or clear coat my interior AND I was going to spend the money to up keep them every few years then I would go with wood.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,781 Posts
Trouble with stained wood interior windows is the up keep is let go in most cases . Then the wood get ugly looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts