Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back i was amazed to see how a wood chipper literally chewed logs into mulch in seconds, i never seen it before first hand.

But i have a question, if i were to feed old barn wood siding into it with nails, would that be a problem for the chipper?

Not that im going to attempt this, but im curious about the limitations of the machine.

Thanks

·
Sean
5,537 Posts
First it depends on the machine - the larger commercial machines can easily handle it (even some resi models) but I can almost guarantee you that you would damage the blades thus shortening the life of the equipment and it would not be a real good idea.

I would recommend finding someone that buys reclaimed wood truthfully & make some money off of it

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First it depends on the machine - the larger commercial machines can easily handle it (even some resi models) but I can almost guarantee you that you would damage the blades thus shortening the life of the equipment and it would not be a real good idea.

I would recommend finding someone that buys reclaimed wood truthfully & make some money off of it
I tried... many many many interested people.... none came through.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Just don't put your ex-wife in a wood chipper, especially if you are in CT since they are wise to that tactic and got famous for the forensics a few years ago.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With a regular brush chipper nails would dull the blades kind of fast, they could take a few no problem but when they get dull they feed much slower and chip much worse.
A tub grinder has carbide tipped hammer type teeth that just pulverizes everything, no problem for them. Our county grinds pallets with one of their machines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts