Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a new living room floor i am experimenting with, some of you guys might remember the kitchen floor i did for myself with the seperately poured multi colored pieces. This time i wanted to add wood, and cut down on the time, so we prefinished 1x4 oak. I will lay out random sized grid, install the oak, built up to allow for radiant to pass under the wood. Then tape off the oak, use the oak as a screed board, pour each section, remove the tape, and there you have it. The whole perimeter of the room will have the oak, then i will use 1x2 oak as a base, this will create a full oak inside corner. Here's a few photos, GMOD,

http://

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You sure do some fun -creative jobs!

I know I don't have to tell you this,but you may inspire someone else to try this-----------

Red oak turns black when exposed to wet concrete. Make sure every thing is well sealed and all will be fine--

Gencarp-I look forward to your next set of photos--MIKE--

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure do some fun -creative jobs!

I know I don't have to tell you this,but you may inspire someone else to try this-----------

Red oak turns black when exposed to wet concrete. Make sure every thing is well sealed and all will be fine--

Gencarp-I look forward to your next set of photos--MIKE--

Thanks Mike, yea i have a few good tricks to preserve the oak while pouring, additionally they have sanding sealer and one coat of poly on all sides, G.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking forward to the next photos also. I like your sense of adventure when playing around the house.

Do you anticipate any problem with expansion/contraction between the 2 materials?

Good Luck
Dave
Thanks Dave, i am going to role the edges of the concrete where it meets the wood, then the movement and cracking that will occur will be below the surface and not visible. GMOD.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thing i like, in the same room i am building an open office concept. Here is my official mail sorting station:thumbsup:. GMOD

http://

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I was under the impression that you were doing this at home. Is it indeed for a client?

I was also wondering if you used any specific criteria to make certain the joist would carry the weight ok?

Thanks for the update.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was under the impression that you were doing this at home. Is it indeed for a client?

I was also wondering if you used any specific criteria to make certain the joist would carry the weight ok?

Thanks for the update.

Good Luck
Dave

Yes David, my place, its the testing ground for all great things:thumbsup:, as far as the weight, the loads are comparable to a mud job with tile or stone, commonly done around here. GMOD

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Looks great, Gene. One thing to consider for the next time is that concrete likes to crack at outside corners. By rotating those squares 90 degrees, they would be diamonds and much less prone to cracking.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts