Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I was just wondering if there are any fellow plumbing contractors based in los angeles california?
And also wondering how hard it was for you to get started getting some business for yourselves.
It has been over a year since I got my contractors license and to be honest I have not been able to land one decent job. I got a couple of little repairs here and there but nothing really significant. So I was wondering if anyone else went thru all this and some personal experiences. Just trying to gain any knowledge.

Well Thanks guys and Merry Christmas to all in advance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
first is your business defined?

what do you specialize in? new homes, remodeling, commercial, service?

pick one

your pricing needs to be correct....too cheap and no one wants you....too expensive and no one wants you....you need to find where the zone is....when I started out I tried to be a low price guy just to find the work...it wasn't working...id bid on jobs and always lose....as a test I decided to bid on a job at my actual cost......I didn't get it...but I heard through a supply house another plumber was complaining about ME...he said I was $3,000 less than him and how could I do it.....so here I was going to save the new home builder $3,000 and he still didn't pick me....being the low price wasn't going to work......I decided right then and there to price myself where I wanted to be.......all the sudden I started winning new homes....if your $300-400 less than someone else you get the job...if your $1,000-2000 less the builder thinks you don't know what your doing........over the years ive held my new home prices, but the market is now where I used to be $2,000-3000 less....I don't win new homes anymore unless its a special custom home

I now focus on remodels.....specifically difficult ones in very old homes...I am able to make tons of money on them......I do service work as filler......maybe 2-3 new homes a year(I don't focus on them at all)

starting out fresh in 2013 is pretty tough.....I started in 2006 and the market was still decent...I was able to get a good customer base

make a database of all the potential customers
send them fliers
call them once in a while and ask to bid
get a good website

95% of all my business is word of mouth.....it took 2-3 years until I got steady referral calls

1 - 2 of 2 Posts