Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as things keep getting more expensive and the bottom line keeps creeping closer to the red the state utilities come to kick you while your down.

Woke up this morning to look at the paper and the headline is Electric rates to increase 17-21% :eek:

Are you f ing kidding me? 20%

The say it is because of natural gas. No, not that the prices of NG are rising. But the infrastructure of the gas pipelines is inadequate to bring enough gas to the turbines.

You think this is something that they might of thought of before taking all the other plants offline and switched to NG? And how is this the peoples fault for their blundering oversights?

So instead of taking profits for the company and reinvesting them back into the company for known issues of operation they gave them out as bonuses and dividends. And now they'll charge the people of CT more to do the job properly instead of doing their job properly in the first place.

And I shouldn't be bitching so much. It said that Mass was going to be hit with up to a 38% increase. :censored:ers

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I know pricing questions arn't allowed but what are you paying for electricity?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I think that they are just trying to make up for the loss of revenue from the CFL light bulbs. It's somewhat of a paradox because they have to profit so many millions of dollars to keep their investors happy yet they are the main ones yelling "CONSERVE! SAVE ENERGY! Join our Watt-Watchers program!" from the rooftops.

For months I was getting those ads with my bill that said, "upgrade to energy efficient windows....blah..blah..blah" so I did it. It cut the electric bill in half. Then I got a letter from them saying, "We noticed severe discrepancy between what you have been using lately and what you normally use on average. Therefore, we've adujsted your bill to reflect what you normally pay." :censored:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know pricing questions arn't allowed but what are you paying for electricity?
Well, that's an interesting question.

Define what you mean by 'paying for electricity.'

Currently at the shop I'm paying about 10.8 cents a KWh. Sounds cheap, right? But it's commercial power and I have all kinds of other crap added onto it. Taxes, fees, distribution costs, line costs, because we can costs, demand charges, secondary demand charges.

The KWh portion of my bill is low. The rest of it adds up pretty quick.

My average bill is between $175 and $225/month

The KWh charge at my house in somewhere around 12.5 cents KWh. Not to many other fees like at the shop. Bill is around $100-$180/mo

·
Registered
Custom
13,681 Posts
Another protected government monopoly.... you get to pay for their mistakes and lack of planning...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
NO LEO.... I'M SURE YOU ARE WRONG.

Our federal government reports that inflation is well under control and running only 1.5%...:censored:#^##$&*$##%^*(#@!...:censored:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
They say in Ontario our rates are due to rise 50% over the next 3 years, all this while the fat cats at the top take home million dollar bonuses, all while complaining there is no money.
Ya know...... Instead of debating the concept of "minimum wage legislation".... maybe we should be debating the merits of "maximum wage/bonus" legislation.

What happened to accounting principals of fixed assets depreciation and capital replacement funding.

EDIT: KAP quote:

Another protected government monopoly.... you get to pay for their mistakes and lack of planning... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::censored:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO LEO.... I'M SURE YOU ARE WRONG.

Our federal government reports that inflation is well under control and running only 1.5%...:censored:#^##$&*$##%^*(#@!...:censored:
Oh sorry, my bad. :blink:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well, that's an interesting question.

Define what you mean by 'paying for electricity.'

Currently at the shop I'm paying about 10.8 cents a KWh. Sounds cheap, right? But it's commercial power and I have all kinds of other crap added onto it. Taxes, fees, distribution costs, line costs, because we can costs, demand charges, secondary demand charges.

The KWh portion of my bill is low. The rest of it adds up pretty quick.

My average bill is between $175 and $225/month

The KWh charge at my house in somewhere around 12.5 cents KWh. Not to many other fees like at the shop. Bill is around $100-$180/mo
So true we have time of use electrical:

.067-.072 off peak
.104-.109 mid peak
.124-.129 on peak

Plus the boiler plate:

Delivery: $63.30
Regulatory charge: $8.14
Debt Retirement (I really like that one): $9.13
HST

Then there is the credits:
Ontario clean energy benefit -10%

We are billed every 2 months and it's always about $175-250...but I have a small house, gas heat, gas water heater, gas cooktop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The house that i live in and the house that i am flipping are on 2 different power companys but same road, i am not at the flip house very often because of full time job and the heat is turned down low and that bill is higher than the one i live in with wife and 2 kids because of the fee to make the power and line fee.

·
Registered
758 Posts
the problem is we are out lawing the use of COAL in this country

coal is the cheapest energy there is, easy to get, easy to turn into electricity

but some people think it's bad so now we don't use, coal burning electric plants are being outlawed, this is the biggest bs in the world, so now we are going to pay 3-4 times what we should for electric

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
The electricity is that much better than it used to be...

Count your blessings, I know a guy with a printing shop - he has a substation dedicated for it, and his base is $100K a year. Then he starts paying for electricity.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
I've stopped conserving anything. The more I conserve, the faster they raise rates. I don't even know what my power bill is, I just pay it. I think 125 a month or so. Our water rate is what kills me. 89 bucks a month, even if you use no water at all.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Reason electric rates are increasing!

I get sick every time I drive by this new power plant that was just built in a beautiful part of the desert. Everyone who votes for this Green Energy is voting to have energy rates increase by 20% while they think the new alternative energy is going to reduce the cost of energy.

A KFI radio talk show told us two years ago that the electric rates would increase by 20% and they predicted the increase would be caused by the development of the expensive and inefficient Green Energy systems such as the wind turbine generators, solar farms, and the 170,000 mirror systems they put in the desert.

They put those mirrors in the desert right next the the 15 interstate freeway and it is a very depressing sight to see. It is not funny how the government banned offroad vehicles in the exact same area about 15 years ago and then they relocate the tortoises in the same area to build this massive power plant with something like 540,000 mirrors and three towers that look like air traffic towers in what was a beautiful portion of the desert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

Regardless of how far they relocate the tortoises they know how to get to their original location and they die trying to get through the fences around what used to be their home. They built two mirror power plants at a cost of something like $4.4 billion for the two and their lifespan is only 20 years.

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, is a solar thermal power project currently under construction in the California Mojave Desert, 40 miles (64 km) southwest of Las Vegas, with a planned gross capacity of 392 megawatts (MW).[3] It will deploy 170,000 heliostat mirrors focusing solar energy on boilers located on centralized solar power towers.[3] The project attracted controversy because of its location on desert habitat considered by wildlife officials and environmentalists to be important for the threatened desert tortoise.[4] Unit 1 of the project was connected to the grid in September 2013 in an initial sync testing.[5]

The project has been developed by BrightSource Energy and Bechtel.[6] The project will cost $2.2 billion and the largest investor in the project is NRG Energy, a generating company based in Princeton, N.J., that has put in $300 million.[7] The project has received a $1.375 billion loan guarantee from the United States Department of Energy. The estimated construction costs for this CSP project ($5,561.00 per KW) fall between the construction costs for coal and nuclear power plants per Synapse Energy Economics.

Politicians play on the Green Energy, the public suck up the lies, and some companies are making hundreds of millions for systems that are too costly, too inefficient, and the cost for the losses are added to your electric bills that are already high.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They could have put a coal power plant there. It would have been 1/30th the size and produced 3x the energy for 1/100th the power and lasted 50+ years.

1,183 Posts
Leo G said:
Just as things keep getting more expensive and the bottom line keeps creeping closer to the red the state utilities come to kick you while your down.

Woke up this morning to look at the paper and the headline is Electric rates to increase 17-21% :eek:

Are you f ing kidding me? 20%

The say it is because of natural gas. No, not that the prices of NG are rising. But the infrastructure of the gas pipelines is inadequate to bring enough gas to the turbines.

You think this is something that they might of thought of before taking all the other plants offline and switched to NG? And how is this the peoples fault for their blundering oversights?

So instead of taking profits for the company and reinvesting them back into the company for known issues of operation they gave them out as bonuses and dividends. And now they'll charge the people of CT more to do the job properly instead of doing their job properly in the first place.

And I shouldn't be bitching so much. It said that Mass was going to be hit with up to a 38% increase. :censored:ers
I hope that's not my part of Mass.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts