Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a hydraulic hand saw with power pack. Do any of you have any instructions with pictures or videos on the seal repair of hydraulic hand saws? Mines is leaking a bit of hydraulic fluid. I know per the manual, you have to remove the blade collar and then get down to the shaft of the motor and there are several steps per the instructions. I just never done one and I want to be able to maintain the blade myself. I know the instructions listed below are specific, but if you never done one before and there are no videos I found online, i'm scared to mess it up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

BLADE COLLAR REMOVAL PROCEDURE
How to remove the blade collar assembly:
1. Remove collar nut and spacer for the collar assembly.
2. Apply heat to set screws location for one continuous minute.
NOTE: PART WILL BE VERY HOT – DO NOT TOUCH
3. Place a metal bar between the dowel pin and the threaded portion of the cone-washer
(where the blade slips over) to hold the collar from turning. Place an allen key wrench in
screw and turn counter clock wise, while holding collar from turning. Remove screw.
4. Attach three prong puller to collar assembly and remove collar.
How to re-attach blade collar assembly to motor shaft:
1. Clean inside bore hole of collar center area with a wire brush or knife blade to remove any
old Loctite. Take a cotton swab or clean cloth and clean inside of bore thoroughly with PVC
cleaner (clear) or Acetone.
2. Tilt hand saw at a slight angle down, so cleaner will not run back into motor shaft seal, clean
shaft on hydraulic motor with shaft key in place, with a clean cloth and PVC cleaner (clear) or
Acetone.
3. Place a small bead of Loctite around the back inside bore of collar. Keep collar facing down,
wipe any excess Loctite off back of collar. Make sure the key is installed on the motor shaft,
then install collar, onto motor shaft quickly.
4. Set saw upright, so that the collar shaft is facing you. (This keeps any excess Loctite from
running back into the motor shaft seal). Wipe out any excess Loctite from the inside of the
collar bore.
5. Place cone-washer over the shaft of screw, (MAKE SURE SCREW IS CLEAN). Add one drop of
Loctite to end of threads on screw. Install quickly to the end of the motor shaft. Hold collar
assembly fast while tightening screw in place.
6. Install two allen set screws in to side of collar shaft. Do not put Loctite on these screws.
7. Install blade on collar, place spacer over collar shaft, place nut on collar shaft and tighten.

HYDRAULIC MOTOR SHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT
PROCEDURE
1. Determine the type of motor on your hand saw (Casappa, Marzocchi or Czech hydraulic
motor) and the seal needed:
 ALM Seal Aluminum (not re-usable)
 Gold Seal (H126) Marine Bronze (reusable with seal kit HYSKG)
2. Follow the procedures to remove the blade collar assembly.
3. Remove snap ring, which holds shaft seal in motor housing.
4. Face hydraulic motor shaft down in a large bucket. Attach hydraulic pump or air pressure
system to hydraulic motor. Start hydraulic pump (idle only) and begin to open flow valve.
Shaft seal will be forced out into the bucket (on a hand saw, you may have to pull the trigger
briefly to pop the seal). Turn off the power source quickly once the seal has dislodged from
the housing.
5. Inspect cavity where shaft seal sits, make sure all debris (dirt, parts of O-ring or shaft seal)
are removed before installing new shaft seal.
6. Apply a light coating of grease to the oil seal and the inside and outside O-ring on the new
shaft seal.
7. Begin to rotate the shaft seal as you begin to place seal on the motor shaft (install shaft seal
with the seal face down) over the motor shaft.
8. Continue to apply light pressure to the shaft seal as you rotate it down the motor shaft. Only
after the oil seal and the inside O-ring has passed the lip on the motor shaft should more
pressure be applied to seat the shaft seal.
9. Once the seal has passed the shaft lip a deep socket can be used to completely seat the seal
in the motor plate cavity.
10. Install a new snap ring, once the snap ring is in place take a small ring punch and tap lightly
around the snap ring to insure it has fully seated into ring groove.
11. Install the blade collar assembly per instructions, and go back to work

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Not to insult your abilities, but just by glancing at those instructions there's a fair amount of knowledge in this type of repair required, and perhaps special equipment/tools. Unless you've ever made these kind of repairs before you might want to have a hydraulic shop do the work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to insult your abilities, but just by glancing at those instructions there's a fair amount of knowledge in this type of repair required, and perhaps special equipment/tools. Unless you've ever made these kind of repairs before you might want to have a hydraulic shop do the work.
yeah I figured that, I'm having them do the swap now. I did request an extra seal with o-rings, but I wanted to know just in case i'm working several hundred miles away and there are no certified shops that work with hydraulic wolverine saws, I would need to do it on my own. Not all hydraulic saws are the same. Wolverine's saw for example shoots out the water embedded withing the shaft of the collar when it starts to spin(trigger pulled). It does not get fed from the sides with a poly tube like other manufactures. So yeah, the equipment is complicated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts