Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 50x50 steel building on my place to store my equipment and do maintainence on it. I am not an electrician but am planning on tackling the wiring the myself as it is going to be a fairly basic job and with work being slow I have more time than money at the moment.

I am not in any city limits and do not have any inspections or permits to worry about but at the same time I don't want to do something dangerous.

I am planning an having spray foam insulation put in the shop.

I know conduit would be the best but what are my other options? I was thinking maybe of MC cable? Should I do the wiring before or after the spray foam insulation? I was thinking if I went with the MC I could have the foam sprayed over the top of it and it would be invisible.

Any ideas from the gurus?

·
Super Moderator
24,422 Posts
I'm not one of the Guru's. but i wouldn't want the wiring covered up in my shop. Seems you'll always want to add or move something for some unknown reason down the road.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
EMT, baby. EMT.:thumbsup:

Reactions: MarcD

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok got it. EMT. It it will be mounted to the purlins. Question is though do I put it in before or after the spray foam insulation?

·
Contractor
4,733 Posts
I'm just passing through mr sparky, but why wouldn't you install the emt first...then spray/hide it. With the ell's, couldn't additional wire be pulled for upgrading circuits if needed down the road?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts