Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, need some input and help, I'm bidding on some work for a company that travels a 3-4 state area, doing training / seminars and they need to have their audio sound system setup at each event. They've already got their own equipment, so it strictly just setup/install. The usual setup is 4 zones, 2 zones up front near stage/platform and 2 zones out in auditorium (150 ft from head-end equipment). They're asking if theres anyway to run the speaker wires w/out them causing a tripping hazard, I just normally use gaffers tape, but didn't know if anyone else came up with something better? Running the wires overhead or along the walls isn't an option, so that's why I'm asking. Sorry for the long drawn out story, just wanted to give as much details as possible.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Are you using XLR. If so use flat cables or maybe a stage box so that you can return to the standard size cables.
He said speakers, if they were active he would still have to tape down electrical wires.

All i ever used was tape and speed bumps.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Do a search on wire management systems.There's tons of that stuff out there these days and relativrly cheap per foot.I used to buy it from Baer Supply in Chicago but they are wholesale only I think.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
All my speakers I used when I was a DJ accepted XLR. They were JBL's. I'm guessing he is not talking about passive speakers as you would just use flat speaker cable.
Not necessarily passive, but not self powered and they would use speakon connectors not XLR, and flat speaker cable is a pain in the ass and isn't used in pro audio.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Inner10 said:
Not necessarily passive, but not self powered and they would use speakon connectors not XLR, and flat speaker cable is a pain in the ass and isn't used in pro audio.
Some of the most expensive speaker cables I have ever seen have been flat ones. Way out my price range of $500+ a meter though.

Sorry I just checked I was wrong. $5k for 2 meters bi wire.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Some of the most expensive speaker cables I have ever seen have been flat ones. Way out my price range of $500+ a meter though.

Sorry I just checked I was wrong. $5k for 2 meters bi wire.
We don't use that crap in pro audio because it's a complete ripoff.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If I had the kind of money to buy cables like that I don't think I would care about $5k fir cables as I'm prob connecting them to a set of $300k speakers and $200k amps lol
I know a guy who spent more on goertz silver speaker cable than their entire setup. Its complete bs. If you want some call me up ill give you a smoking deal. I have a roll of ultralink excalibur i'd sell for a song.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Inner10 said:
I know a guy who spent more on goertz silver speaker cable than their entire setup. Its complete bs. If you want some call me up ill give you a smoking deal. I have a roll of ultralink excalibur i'd sell for a song.
Most I have spent is $6.95 a meter on QED silver cables. Still using them after 7 years. If I was loaded though I would care lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts