Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a full log home and finish it. all doors and windows are in and I do not know how much to allow for wiring in purchase price nor how to go about . any advice ?

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Welcome to the site. You're going to get better responses from the posters here if you fill out an introduction including what you do, how long, etc.

Your trade says general contractor, do you have a licensed electrician you use regularly?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
A little more detail about the house would help too.

How big?
Slab? Crawl space? Full basement?
How about the state of the house right now? Interior framing or not?

The original post as it stands is un-answerable.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If someone built a log house without putting in the wiring chases as they laid the logs you are headed for a world of headache.

I've built more than a few log homes and know of no easy solution to retro-fitting the chases.

If the house is gonna be moved then you can put the chases in as you restack or as you take it apart.

Maybe you get stuck with having all your wiring in the partition walls if there are any.

If the chases are in and the holes cut for the boxes then it's not hugely different from a regular house and your sparky will give you a quote.

As Speedy says, more info.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
.........and I do not know how much to allow for wiring in purchase price ..........
About tree fiddy.......... thousand.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
As the others have stated you need to give more info. If the windows and doors are in but no chases then you are boned. The easiest way to wire it and have it look nice is to pull the doors and windows for better access to wire it. Pulling the doors will give you access for any switches. Pulling the windows will give you access to drill into the basement/crawl space downward and into the logs sideways for recepticles/outside GFCI's and wall sconces. It is a PITA but it looks much better than wire mold. Any other wiring can be done through interior walls and such. If the chases are already drilled then you are ok but dont be thinking snaking wires will be easy. I usually charge an hourly rate "time/materials" for wiring log homes but if a customer requests a set rate than it is double of what i normally charge per box for new construction.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
....... but if a customer requests a set rate than it is double of what i normally charge per box for new construction.
Geez, you work log homes cheap. I wouldn't flat rate it for less that 4x new construction prices, and that's the low end of the scale.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
The last log cabin I did was over 5k sq/ft. The HO's GC'd it themselves and f-ed everything up. So much for call themselves GC's. :laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Log house

Thanks guys for your input, this house is in Co. it has a full basement, all walls are in place. I have been looking into this and I think from what I am reading that having a full basement is going to be a big help. Code wise can you put the outlets in the base board? What will be the best way to install the light switch ? any web sight on this will help. Thanks again for your input .

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Geez, you work log homes cheap. I wouldn't flat rate it for less that 4x new construction prices, and that's the low end of the scale.
I know what you mean, i have sometimes shorted myself. I have found that the pricing depends on the log style, how the logs were installed and if the contractor knows any of the shortcuts to make it easier for the electrician. If they dont know then i point them out to them to save everyone a headache down the road. Some contractors and homeowners dont realize that the electrician basically has to baby sit the house so they dont get screwed during construction. A good contractor will know where to drill the holes for you and the proper size as they go. One contractor i worked with even routered out my boxes for me when i showed him the layout :thumbsup:.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Thanks guys for your input, this house is in Co. it has a full basement, all walls are in place. I have been looking into this and I think from what I am reading that having a full basement is going to be a big help. Code wise can you put the outlets in the base board? What will be the best way to install the light switch ? any web sight on this will help. Thanks again for your input .
You might want to try an angle drill with a short bit and several short extensions so you can try to drill from the bottom up so you can install the recepticles. I would seriously consider pulling the door to wire in the switches, just nail guard the wires so you dont damage them during the re-installation of the door. My question is do you have beams and V-joint for your first story ceiling/second story floor? If you do then how are you going to wire that for any ceiling lights/fan? Do you have any access or are you going with wall sconces? It sounds to me you may be getting in over your head though. Wiring a house like this can be a real nightmare if you dont know what your up against. This is why we charge so much for these homes. Like 480 mentioned i work cheap and i still charge at least double for this work and most often by the hour due to unforeseen problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts