Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked to make sure that the wiring of a fire-damaged home is clear to be turned back on. I inspected any and all cables that ran from the breaker box into the different circuits of each of the home's rooms for damage. While there was a significant amount of damage caused by both the smoke and the fire that happened within the kitchen (where the fire started), there was only smoke damage to the rest of the home. That being said, would it be safe to say that the electric could safely be turned back on if the damaged circuits in the kitchen were simply turned off until it is rewired? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,567 Posts
Wow. That was handy! All the wiring was exposed so you can inspect it all. You didn't even have to get out your megohmmeter. How lucky can you get?

Or did you order the $1.99 x ray vision glasses out of the back of the comic book?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I will never understand why some people are willing to put their name on the line doing things they are in no way qualified for.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,624 Posts
"just smoke damage" doesn't really tell you much. The walls may have gotten a few hundred degrees and not charred, or there could be specific wall areas that got very hot. Personally, I'd want both a megger check of everything and a visual inspection based on tear out starting at the hottest point, and moving toward cooler areas until the visuals are clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just anxious to see how many 13-year olds this forum post can fit in it...thanks.
add me then.............

when I'm asked to check a structure for damage I tell them to call the carpenter/general contractor............because I am not one.

you should add "unqualified electrical inspections" to your tag line

do you have a clause in your business liability insurance policy for doing unlicensed electrical inspections in a dwelling?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts