Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the replies... I am building an electric home brewary.. I need to get these elements into a boil kettle. They sell what I need at around $180 a piece... I feel it's about 200% cheaper to do it myself.. I just want to make sure I'm
Doing this safely..

Somehow I knew Alcohol was involved.....I was thinking a still..I was wrong, but right at the same time.:drink:

To the OP, you can't just go sticking heating elements into something that will be consumed by friends and family. Boiling water to ferment beer is totally different than heating water to take a bath in.

Somehow I knew Alcohol was involved.....I was thinking a still..I was wrong, but right at the same time.:drink:

To the OP, you can't just go sticking heating elements into something that will be consumed by friends and family. Boiling water to ferment beer is totally different than heating water to take a bath in.
Meh I ate my mother's cooking and lived...just boil it a little longer first. :laughing:

Reactions: tgeb
I just want to make sure I'm
Doing this safely..
Rigging up homemade contraptions based on advice from anonymous internet "experts", without a full understanding of the physics and chemistry involved, would not seem to be the most likely way of accomplishing that goal.

An ordinary kitchen stove suffices quite nicely for boiling wort.

heating element

Hey upstate
no disrespect but i think your crazy hooking up 220 power with a homemade device, to an aluminum pot, filled with current carrying liquid.Hey after you make one of these things u could get it listed with U.L. or E.T.L. and make a fortune

Is it possible to wire a heating element to a plug so I can control it with a switched outlet?

I am trying to boil water with a heating element.

Thanks
I had this same thought as elements are waay cheaper and more powerful than immersion bucket heaters that are already wired. It's easily done and explained in the post.

https://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=579

Also in the spirit of saving money, if you look up Bayou Classic Steam Pots you will find their sizes of posts range all the way up to 160qt, 40 GAL!!!!! Which is a very large mash tun and extremely cheap compared to a blichmann a fraction of the size. Im likely getting one and going to wire in a few of these elements and run it with a thermostat outlet switch :)

Can't wait!
Happy brewing!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.