Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be wiring a generator powered hunting shack / house. Its not very big maybe 25 x 15. its going to include an outdoor eating area, and an indoor eating area, indoor bar, indoor lights, and indoor plugs. Its only source of power will be a remote mounted generator.

Im figuring on setting a sub panel in the shack, fed by the generator. I wanted to set up a 12 volt system so when the generator was off, we would still have indoor and outdoor lights. Is there any specific way you guys would go about this? Im thinking the easiest would just set up a few separate lights on there own 12v system, with a deep cell battery, with some sort of charging or tending system on it. Or is there some type of switcher, with inverter, that can back feed the existing lighting system when the generator isnt on? i have never designed anything like this.

how would you guys handle this?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,807 Posts
Build it like a RV.
Yep, what he said. Set up for 12V lighting, even when the gennie is running. That way, you can have battery-powered lights after you shut down the noisemaker used for earlier [more power-hungry] activities.

You can certainly set up an inverter to provide 120V from battery power, but I've never found that to be necessary in over 25 years of such camping. If you just gotta watch smut flics after ther gennie's off, just hit a truck stop and pick up a 12V TV and VCR. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts