Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a CISCO 350 in my laptop and my signal falls about 1oo feet short of carrieing it to the shop down the road. Is there some way I can boost my card to get to the network, or even pickup a stronger card?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How far are you trying to go?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea the type, the portal is a 2WIRE, my card is a CISCO 350.

How far? I'm trying to get about a half a block, the signal fades out about 20 or 30 feet from the shop. All together it's about 50 yards.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have Linksys Wireless G. They claim 300ft. but I have never pushed it that far. It does everything else that they said it would, comes with a firewall too.
Mine, with card, was about $100, but that was years ago, I'm sure that the price has gone down by now.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's working, I have to sit outside the shop on the stoop, but it works. A really low signal also.

I can see now, I'm going to have to put some patio chairs out here, maybe a table with a little umbrella, how about some Egyptian women to fan me and feed me grapes.

Bob

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I too have Linksys 802.11G (at work and at home) - I can easily go down the block and still have good signal strength. At work I've pushed it over 100ft with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Well it's working, I have to sit outside the shop on the stoop, but it works. A really low signal also.

I can see now, I'm going to have to put some patio chairs out here, maybe a table with a little umbrella, how about some Egyptian women to fan me and feed me grapes.

Bob
Do a search on cantenna. Realy easy to make and can boost the singnal quite a bit. Heres a link to one http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
more ideas...
Try moving your wireless router, or whatever it is that acts as a transceiver for the network, to a window location.
When I was a kid I use to do two things that would allow me and the kid down the road to talk on our walkie-talkies - 1.) tightly wrap (coil) the long length of thin wire (22 gauge?) that served as the antenna for my crystal radio around my walkie-talkie antenna and 2.) coil the same kind of thin wire around my walkie talkie antenna and hook the other end to the cover plate screw of the convenience outlet in my bedroom.
It wasn't high-tech but it worked.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rich, I'd really like to know how many of these guys even know what a crystal radio is. LOL I also remember when you had to be proficient in Morse to get a number of licenses.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I had a crystal radio when I was a kid - my old man gave it to me because it was broken. Ended up fixing it - being a little kid I was pretty proud of myself :) It's the little things.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hee haa, punched a hole in a coffee can and stuck the the wireless in it, shazzstinkingzzam! great signal now but had to move my desktop, couldn't figure out how to get my laptop in a coffee can.

Bob

E

·
0 Posts
I saw a website one time that they had tested different types of containers for signal boost and the winner was a Pringles container, they put 2 of them on opposite mountains about 800 yds. apart and were able to get a signal on a clear day.

I will post here again if found.

M

·
0 Posts
If you ever want to try something other then the coffee can the cisco 350 is the b version of wireless. Compusa you can pickup a G card for under $20 i bought mine for $9 at the time. Also compusa has antenna's for 20-40 depending on big you want to go that can replace the little antennaes on your wireless router or mount on your roof and run a coax to where the antennaes connect. All seem very reasonable in price, but hey the can probably does the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts