Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is communication so damn expensive!?

I have the iphone which i love but to have it a have to put up with att's crap!

3 lines unlimited text for 2 and internet access for 1 = $260. per month.

3000 min is what I get and sometimes ill go over but my regular monthly cost is $260!

Then I have a 3 lines at home plus DSL and my family's wireless bills is another 3 phones on the sprint network which is not much better than my att service.

2 lines at the office plus internet...

all told I spend about $580 - $600 per month on freaking phones!

taxes,fees & surcharges really add up.
it's about $170 more than what I pay for electricity to my whole house each month.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not big at all for around here.
2,200 sq ft living space
10,000 sq. ft land

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll be like rocky; Yelling out the window instead.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's it! I'm working from home ... I'm gonna close the closet I rent in one of the commercial buildings and set up shop in the garage!

Freaking Edison!
Freaking Enron & such!
Freaking Schwarzenegger!
Freaking George Bush!
Freaking Obama!

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Your phone bill pays my house payment, and you electric bill would cover everything else.

My electric bill is like 35 bucks a month!!
No wonder you are so into the Koolaid.

My mortgage on my crappy little cape is five times yours....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
560 Posts
And I was worried about my cell bill!
Get pay a you go with unlimeted texting. The text family, coworkers.

Get a long distance card. Use it when you call long distance. Have to dial 1-888 number then wait to dial number you want to reach. Some recognize your phone # and no pin is required.

Make most calls from your home or office land line. I call mostly first thing in morning and at end of day.
Some have got into the habit of calling on cell phone and just chatting.

There are things like "Magic jack" for cell phones. If you get a plan that allows you to call some numbers for free, usually 5 or so. You enter their number as one of them. Then you speed dial it, hear the voice and dial the number you want to reach.

Depends how much convenience you want. You pay for convenience.

For a calendar and such I use google calendar. It texts me when I have an appointment. In the states you can text it to add an entry.
Someone here on the forum told me that trick.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was wondering about the Magic jack, I dropped Vonage and my Laptop card about 8 months ago and reduced my minutes ... and still I can't cut back enough.

I actually feel ... Oppressed!

·
I like Green things
23,068 Posts
No wonder you are so into the Koolaid.

My mortgage on my crappy little cape is five times yours....:rolleyes:
That's why those decks you sell are so much more expensive than the things I can sell. I got a crappy old farm house, it does have a 1400 sq/ft 4 car garage though!!

You should upgrade those oil lamps.
I want my money back for the CFL's I bought for the lights in my house, didn't change my bill.

When the AC is on in the summer I think it costs me another 20 bucks a month!!

I think this is a great way to show people why pricing questions can not really be answered.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Why is communication so damn expensive!?

I have the iphone which i love but to have it a have to put up with att's crap!

3 lines unlimited text for 2 and internet access for 1 = $260. per month.

3000 min is what I get and sometimes ill go over but my regular monthly cost is $260!

Then I have a 3 lines at home plus DSL and my family's wireless bills is another 3 phones on the sprint network which is not much better than my att service.

2 lines at the office plus internet...

all told I spend about $580 - $600 per month on freaking phones!

taxes,fees & surcharges really add up.
it's about $170 more than what I pay for electricity to my whole house each month.
What is going to happen in 2012?? Free lines for wireless etc?
Not to be smart here, , but everyone in America is paying lots of money for all these electronic contraptions, no matter what their income is, and don't blink an eye about it, but grunt and complain about our Gov't & taxes etc. Not trying to hijack your thread, but This come to mind.
I gave up my cell phone because We still can't get service in places around here & zilch here at my house- so I got sick of paying for it- & ya know what-they are nice to have but I found that I did'nt need one.......I am sure you can cut back & save some money.....................

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I talked to the wife about combining the cell bills to one provider so that we just add lines, but that only cuts back about $50 and it co mingles work & personal use, tougher to write off...

I'm basically going through everything and cutting back where I can, we eat out MUCH less, go out less... cheaper dog food.

My Dog Food was $300 per month. Blue wilderness "Holistic naturals" & Biljack premium.

Now we get. freaking eukanuba by the ton.... at least their farts smell better.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2012?

The sun will go maximum out put, the new world order will perfect their plan of eliminating 70% of the population, through famine, war, disease, terror & man made virus... world wide misery.

they will control all fresh water and we all will be forced to wear the sign of the beast.

Only the strong will survive, Food,water,energy and Ammo will be king.

Finally all my stock piles will pay off.

·
Banned
538 Posts
nextel/boost mobile.. 50 bucks a month, unlimited text, unlimited, talk, unlimited walkie talkie, unlimited web browsing... i then have comcast internet and tv, around 100 a month for that.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Why on earth do you need a landline?

I have tmobile family 1800 share lines or whatever they call it and have internet for my blackberry. The family shares the 1800 minutes and you can change the allotment for your kid whatever. Mobile to mobile between the family and with any other tmobile customer is free and doesn't count towards minutes. My wife alone is on the phone about 1600 minutes a month and we haven't gone over once yet.

Cable internet and basic cable.

Total communications cost = $190 per month.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts