Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been doing it wrong, but i have always just kept mineral spirits in my spray rig during the winter months when I wasn't using it. I have known about Armour pump Liquid forever, just never used it. Also have heard about using regular motor oil. Am i doing it wrong. I have never had a problem. What do you guys use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ive used nothing but mineral spirits for 30 years...painted in ca, fl, oh and nc and never had an issue. plus the price is right compared to the 'pro' grade chemicals in the stores.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I knew an old school painter that used kerosene for the winter.
Personally I don't like to mix oil and water, so I have an oil rig and a water rig, keeping spirits in the oil rig and pump shield in the water rig. I rarely spray anymore but either pump is always ready to go whenever I pull it out. The oil rig probably only gets used about once a year, water rig a few times a year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do you think it is any advantage to using it other than the Flammable thing?
not necessarily, my thought was that the material (pump armor) was designed to lubricate the o-rings and seals to keep them at their optimal density for a reason. i mean, others, including my self, have used thinners and such for decades with no problems, but I like this stuff. I reuse it every time after I clean the rig. By re-use it, I mean I empty it back into the bottle when priming for primer/paint, then when done spraying/cleaning the rig, I cycle it through again and leave it in the lines (prime stage) until its next use.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For Winterizing I use mineral spirits and 10W-30. 50/50. Talked to the Titan tech years ago and they say that's how they are shipped from the factory. In the spring a quick flush with thinner than water than they are good to to go.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
think I get it from HD for about $8 a quart. and when careful, can last me through probably 10 cycles of spraying/cleaning....
I never understood why Graco sells their pump saver already diluted. 1 qt. at $8 ? Gimme a break! 1 qt. of Spraytechs pump saver is concentrated (few ounces to quart of water) and costs $8 ! :rolleyes: :eek: :blink:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
all of the above sound good except antifreeze. I would think that it would eat the packings or O-rings because of the glycol
Altho I don't, some say to put a few drops of oil in the paint thinner. I clean my rig pretty well after each use, but I'm wary of keeping thinner in the unit for long term storage. I keep wondering if it'll turn whatever latex is in the system into soft gooey gunk.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Guy I used to work for put a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and linseed oil in his rig when he was going to store it for a while.

Never heard of anyone else doing this, but it seemed to work pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts