Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm winterizing my upstate NY summer house (bungalow style little house) that's at least 50, maybe 80 years old. The back half of the house is over a crawl space, i.e. no basement and no subterranean foundation. I'm looking to have insulation blown into the walls though I'm not sure if it's needed in the floor - that's what I'm hoping you fellas can help me determine. My issue is keeping the plumbing underneath the house warm enough.

1. I know I need to block off the crawl space to prevent freezing wind blasts to the pipes but what do you feel is sufficient to secure that space to keep the pipes from freezing? Is a concrete footing with plywood backed with some insulation board enough or are there better solutions?

2. What's the best way to keep the pipes insulated/heated? I have asked a local plumber, Home Depot, and the blown-insulation guy and I get conflicting assessments. I have been told heat tape (assuming now power outages) will be fine, but others say no way, it won't be enough.

I sincerely appreaciate your help and guidance here. I have to do most if not all of this work myself and can't afford to just turn the job over to the pros
:(

Duc

·
Registered
438 Posts
Frostex, is your answer as its a self regulating heat tape, insulate after you have heat taped the pipe and then set thermostat.

Bjd

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In the NC house, I cut in a hose bib at the lowest spot. I shut off the service line and drain every thing. 26 yrs. and no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teetorbilt said:
In the NC house, I cut in a hose bib at the lowest spot. I shut off the service line and drain every thing. 26 yrs. and no problems.
Do you have to blow it out or just let it drain?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I hook a hose to the water heater and open that hose bib, the bib that I installed and all of the faucets and showerheads. I leave everything open until I return. The hose bib is exterior, I wrap a rag around it and use aluminum tape to keep out the bugs and let it breathe.
I don't get up there every year and the max has been three yrs.
Start up is; Remove rag from bib, turn on service valve and let everything run for a few minutes (until water heater is full, lock open the tpr valve). During this watch the faucets and as they clear of ALL air, shut them off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts