Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
brm1109
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have 2 questions about doing winterizations now that the season is approaching.
1. Air compressor - what size compressor would you recommend for blowing out the lines.
2. Anti-freeze - on a regular 2 bath home, how much anti freeze do you use and how much in each fixture.
Any help would really be great.

Thanks

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
winterizes

Hello all,
I have 2 questions about doing winterizations now that the season is approaching.
1. Air compressor - what size compressor would you recommend for blowing out the lines.
2. Anti-freeze - on a regular 2 bath home, how much anti freeze do you use and how much in each fixture.
Any help would really be great.

Thanks
I use a 8 ga double tank compressor. You need enough to pressure the system and get enough air through the system to push as much of the water out as possible.
Antifreeze-PPGlycol- this is pretty much up to you but be sure to get enough in the traps to prevent freezing. Remember there is fluid in traps and will dilute so we estimate approx 3 cups. Also, remember that the next contractor my use the drain as a bathroom and it will get further diluted.:thumbup:
Personally after 13 years in the business we no longer perform winterizes due to the liability associated. You will get sued and/or chargedback so be prepared. Understand you can never ever get all the water out of a domestic water system and there will be breaks in some homes. I personally bow out of winterizing and only do the repairs that is caused from others winterizes since I get to "name my price" and the "other contractor" has to pay for the repairs since the servicing company just charges this back to the winterizing contractor. Be sure to check with the building/plumbing codes for your State since some States require winterizes to be performed by licensed plumbers.
Good luck and can't wait for the work.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts