Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I decided that I look for a snow plowing gig for the winter. My main reason is that I just go plain crazy sitting around nearly all winter and her reason is she wants more spending money.

So anyway, I send out a resume to a snow plow place listed on CL. The guy calls me the next day and turns out its one of the larger plow companies around that brings on around 125-150 guys each winter and then multiple sub contractors.

He says because of my experience he'd like me to do a manager type job. Basically, I get a call from him, I call my crew leaders (5 or so guys) and tell them we are heading out. Then the best part, I don't do any actual snow removal, I just make sure everyone shows up and make sure the lots are looking good. I'll occasionally need to shovel or operate a loader or salt but he said it'd be very rare.

Best part? $35 an hour to do this. Now I hope we get a lot of snow so I get some extra spending cash.

P.S - I know snow removal sucks.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
So... like every night when 1 out 5 doesn't show... do you have to get out and push?

·
Super Moderator
28,876 Posts
We work full years here, but if we didnt id have a side gig.

Sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TimelessQuality said:
So... like every night when 1 out 5 doesn't show... do you have to get out and push?
They say they have back ups and it would only be until they arrive but we will see how it actually goes.

Like Jaws said, I applied expecting to plow snow, won't be a big deal to me.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
snow plowing sounds like a hell right next to owning a bed and breakfast. I did a house for a firefighter that also had a landscape/snowplow business. He said he'd often be plowing for 12 hours, have a shift at the firehall, work 24 hours straight there because of snow related accidents then get in his plow immediately when he got home for say another 12-18 hours. Sounds like deadliest crab stuff to me.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dom-mas said:
snow plowing sounds like a hell right next to owning a bed and breakfast. I did a house for a firefighter that also had a landscape/snowplow business. He said he'd often be plowing for 12 hours, have a shift at the firehall, work 24 hours straight there because of snow related accidents then get in his plow immediately when he got home for say another 12-18 hours. Sounds like deadliest crab stuff to me.
Yeah I can see how that'd be tough but best part of being self employed? I get to decide when I want to work or not and considering a snow storm means snow on the roofs and cold weather, I'll probably not be roofing.

·
Punching above his weight
12,102 Posts
So you're going to be something like quality assurance? Following crews and checking the driveways after they pass?

Sounds like a great gig, especially at $35 hour.

I hope it snows steadily, 2 inches every 4 hours, for the entire winter for you!

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Even if I planned to be out of work in the winter, a hundred bucks I didn't plan for is worth it to me.

100 bucks is 100 bucks.
I agree with that for sure. Out here, all the plow drivers are subs. That $105 would break down like this:

Pay taxes and all FICA $45
Repairs to truck $52.50

Take home to momma $7.50

All while you freeze and lose sleep. I have known many who plowed. Not a whole lot of success stories.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
This guy loves to work. He has tons of toys, and never uses them cause he's always working. I admire his ethic, but I don't envy his life. He could easily just hire another driver for the winter, he has 4 or 5 anyway, but no, he gets in the truck after 36 hours working and does another 12

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Warren said:
I agree with that for sure. Out here, all the plow drivers are subs. That $105 would break down like this: Pay taxes and all FICA $45 Repairs to truck $52.50 Take home to momma $7.50 All while you freeze and lose sleep. I have known many who plowed. Not a whole lot of success stories.
Oh definitely. They do pay well. For guys just to shovel they are between $15-17 which is good considering a lot of guys on the CL say $8.

They pay regular plow drivers $25 in their trucks and from what I understand they pay sub plow drivers between $85-105 depending on equipment. Guess owner makes enough money off a decent winter storm to rest fairly easy in the summer.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Snow removal sucks.

When you are you moving the white stuff I'm be at home pouring back the amber stuff. Oh and try not the scrape the asphalt. ;)

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Inner10 said:
Snow removal sucks. When you are you moving the white stuff I'm be at home pouring back the amber stuff. Oh and try not the scrape the asphalt. ;)
When your home I bank my money . ( Not respond able )do to plow edges in contracts . Oh and when seasons over who fixes curbs , driveway , sidewalks , fences we do . So sometimes its money over money .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts