Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with this wine cellar. It's 8x8 with vaulted ceiling. I hope to get some more pictures when the cabinets and door are finished - the halogen work lights do not do this stone justice.

It's probably the most dramatic looking stone veneer I've seen. It was cut from very old walls and floors in Italy and shipped over at $48 a square foot.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Thats pretty cool, what was the thickness of those rocks, they look like they could be beefy !

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the faces of the stones bulge out maybe 2 to 3". It definitely makes a statement. It looks very old world, which is what they wanted. Precast around the doors - the floor is also some old limestone.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys :) And Stuart, if I've managed to emulate some of your esthetic, I think I've succeeded.

Fundi, heres a picture of when I was just getting started. I asked for brown coat on the walls and ceiling. With medium consistency stone-veneer mortar, I just buttered the back of the stone about a quarter inch thick, and pushed up with a slight wiggle. I held it for a few seconds and surprisingly they grabbed right on to the brown coat. The only issue is down near the bottom of the arches it's steeper and they want to slide downhill a little, but not a big problem once you get the first row to set up as I was setting the stones right up tight to one another anyway.

I was thinking of you Fundi in that originally the ceiling was supposed to be a barrel vault. Then one day the super told me they switched to a "green vault" I said "do you mean a groined vault?" :) And of course this is just a veneer. I couldn't think of any way with the shapes I had to work with, to approximate the amazing bond you do, so I just followed the line and kept the stones tight - hope it looks OK to the master :)

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
Mine are actually fake ones Dave. Real ones cost about £150 a yard here, while the fakes are a mere £30 a yard.
Floor Tile Flooring Property Room
Your stonework looks great as well

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wine people are crazy. One of my customers was building a pretty big house in town. Can't say his name, but he has a lot to do with running a little cell phone company. ;)
I guess he was never really a wine expert, and doesn't try to be. That's why in his new house he had a beautiful climate controlled wine cellar built (good size, maybe 15'X20" with a tasting area outside of the cellar)
and just called some high end company that takes care of everything. We did the floor. Cabinet guys built the racks and this company brings in 1000 bottles of wine. Insta-cellar. :clap:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sure- throw some veneer above the expensive wine bottle racks! Looks nice and having imported stones.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks so much for noticing stonecutter. I ordered some type s in a limestone color. But when I made a sample, it seemed too dark. So I got some white mortar and mixed it with the limestone color in about 8 different proportions. I made samples and let them dry overnight with the halogen lamps left on and we settled on 3 parts limestone, 2 parts white.

Dave

·
Knows less all the time
398 Posts
Thanks drons. I would not thought possible. Stone veneer mortar! I need to ask questions about polymers and acrylic additives.

And it is very nice.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
The hangers started on this home today . The owner Is an awesome stone mason .

I told him to take the wine out before I get started! LOL!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts