Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
woodchuck2 said:
Been minus -15 to -20 the last few nights here. I do not expect the washers to work, i just grab a handful of snow and toss it on the glass to clean it off. Made it all the way to single digits for a high today. Spent the whole day burning waste materials from a job to make room for more. Tomorrow we haul waste from the job to my place all day, at least the truck has good heat.

Ok, I feel better . At least I'm not the only one... Ironically I just went out to dinner in my wife's Jeep Compass . Her wiper fluid worked in the garage , and then when we got back into the car after dinner......frozen!!!
I think the culprit is that we both get our oil changed at the same place and when they too off the fluids , they must put the cheaply stuff in.. I'm gonna drain the reservoir in my pick up and try the winter mix with some rubbing alcohol

And God Bless you guys working in those -15 and worse temperatures ....

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
In another post about heated porta johns, someone posted that a 1500 watt heater will keep one of those warm at -20.

Heck, I put one in my extended cab pickup last month when it got to 15 degrees here and ran it all night. It didn't help much at all.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I used rain x washer fluid in all of my vehicles.....it ate the paint right off my nicest truck! Needless to say, I'm scared to use anything now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I 'll take a picture of the truck later today. It wasn't something that just gradually happened. I went to wash my truck one day... and noticed the paint was already ruined.

It ate the clear coat off around the nozzles and two stripes right over the roof. I drained the fluid out of all my vehicles after that.

I took it to the body shop and its going to cost $1800 to repaint! They told me they see it all the time.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
brickhook said:
I 'll take a picture of the truck later today. It wasn't something that just gradually happened. I went to wash my truck one day... and noticed the paint was already ruined. It ate the clear coat off around the nozzles and two stripes right over the roof. I drained the fluid out of all my vehicles after that. I took it to the body shop and its going to cost $1800 to repaint! They told me they see it all the time.
I would be contacting rain x and putting in a claim with them.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I would be contacting rain x and putting in a claim with them.
I tried talking to some one , just to try and get answers, and it went a lot like....Press one for a problem....Press two for a different problem...Press three if you would like to talk to someone in a different language about your problem.....I went round and round with them and got no where...I went to there website, and just didn't get to talk to anyone.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When mine froze, the stuff in the reservoir was froze almost solid. Take the lid off the reservoir and see what it looks like. If it is slush or frozen you found the problem. Add the methyl and give it a few hours. good luck. Like I said before, I wont even but the minus 35 stuff anymore. It gets colder than that here regularly. brrrrr:eek:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
brickhook said:
I tried talking to some one , just to try and get answers, and it went a lot like....Press one for a problem....Press two for a different problem...Press three if you would like to talk to someone in a different language about your problem.....I went round and round with them and got no where...I went to there website, and just didn't get to talk to anyone.
What could be happening is its sitting on the paint. You really shouldn't be getting any around the jet nozzles or the roof area. I use a paint protector so even if it does get on me paint it won't hurt it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Not all wintermix is the same as I found out......the blue stuff has atleast 3 levels 32, 0, -20. I was in a hurry and grabbed the 32 on accident same label as the other empties I have sitting on the shelf.

I met a man from MN who would put some in a sprayer bottle and keep in the house (warm) so he could use it if his trucks wouldnt work when he was ready to leave

21 - 33 of 33 Posts