Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Windows on a new House

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  wallmaxx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Contractors.

I am not a contractor so maybe this post will just be removed. However as you are all experts was looking for some insight.

I am building a moderate home. Nothing super high end but we did do a couple extras on the house. What I am struggling with are the windows.

The options we had been giving are Plygem and Jeldwen. I just don't feel good about either as I have read reviews on line. I understand that I am sure that the smaller percentage of people who had issues are probably louder then the people who are satisfied and never comment. Some reviews are a little concerning. We are the ones who will be in the house 10 or 20 years.

We live in SouthCarolina and it is super hot and humid. Every house with cheapo windows had seal bust and the windows fog up. I would like windows that are energy efficient. Since the sun here is intense.

Marvin seem a bit out our price range what is something that would be decent but not break the bank. The jeldwen that we picked have a 12 backorder and now I'm being asked to go with the plygems. Andersilver line seem like low end as well.

Thanks,
FSCHRIS

See less See more
#3 ·
Milgard would be a step up from plygem or Jeldwin. Just go for the midnrange and you will be fine. Add auto locks for a couple bucks and be happy.

That being said, our plygem service in this area is great, as is our Milgard service department.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I’ve installed a lot of jeldwen and have only had two bad defects.

1) glass break. Manufacturing defect because one pane was touching the vinyl sash so I’m guessing the expansion/contraction caused the crack. Not warrantied.

2) delamination of the low e film. Warrantied

#8 ·
I have used Andersons 100s are a pretty fair window , nice thing is can get them in darker colors, little on the boxy side . Just used Milgard on a job because needed to match other window in the house, are a good one too. Jeldwen personally would not use them on something wanted to live a long time. frame are light weight , glass is thin making them tinny sounding. You want thicker glass to cut out street noise. Leave them at HD I buy most of my windows from a local company , very good windows IMO , heavy frames thick glass . Quick turn around on orders.

#9 ·
Thanks Randy Bush- We will not use JeldWen. That decision is already made.

I was looking at the Pella Impervia Windows. My builder says they are more but not as pricey as the Anderson 100s. I think Fiberglass would be better than vinly long term correct?

Chris

#11 ·
We have aluminum clad Jeld Wen signature series windows. I think that is the line anyway. I don’t like them. They infact just sent me 6 warrantied sashes because the cladding basically is falling off. I still have to provide the labor to replace them and paint the interior.
Maybe try looking at Matthews Bros. Windows or I like the Marvin Integrity series windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Thanks - I would not be doing Jeldwen anymore. That was original choice in a vinyl window. Im a bit skeptical on Vinyl ... I just have seen house that are 10-13 years old and the vinyl windows do not look good anymore. Hope these Pella Fiberglass windows are not out of reach... Waiting on estimate.

#15 ·
Not a fan of Anderson 100s. lower end mid dollar window but that fibrex crap bends and torks more than vinyl. Hardware and operators seem jenky to me. They also have a plastic trim piece that covers the exterior glazing that likes to move on its own when in direct sun. after time I've had these pieces move more than 18" from where they were originally installed leaving the butt end of the glazing exposed. Cheap price for a recognized name brand but junk in my opinion. Hopefully never install them again. E series seems to be solid although as someone mentioned these are an alum clad wood window. I can't imagine they would do well in hail.

Big fan of Sierra pacific vinyls. Stylish, operate well and still very competitive on pricing for a higher end vinyl.

#17 ·
I did get a quote for the windows and basically everything is 100% more than what was budgeted over PlyGem. The Pella Impervia is more than double. Does that seem reasonable ?

I'm staying away from Anderson 100 and I am not going to do wood since I live in an extremely humid place ( South east).

I did look on Kolbe website and saw a line called Glastra. No idea on the price of these I also saw some good reviews on a vinyl line by Windsor.

I would like to spend more and get something better than plygem but I can't seem to find anything else that is not 100% more over the original budget.

#20 ·
Honestly, unless you buy cheap, bottom of the line vinyl windows, you will be fine.

Plygem are good windows. I install a lot of them. Customer service after the sale is good in our area.

The only caveat I have is if you are in a very cold climate. And then as long as the windows have the weatherization rating you want, you are good.

But even then, a proper install is more important than the window itself.

For the most part, a quality vinyl window is quality vinyl window.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
You’ve ruled out all the windows in your price range so now you’re stuck with windows that are double your budget. Raise your budget or accept a lower quality window. There is no such thing as a good deal/bargain when it comes to windows. You either pay or you don’t. Low quality windows are expensive, good windows are really expensive.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.