Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
F12 boot menu and go to safe mode, remove the update and reboot.

Or does Win10/11 not have a safe mode?
It never booted far enough for those F12 or DEL options to work.

I did the old hard kill restart (10 -15 times) and windows eventually popped up a screen suggestion that I was experiencing a problem........which in itself generated some MF, NO **** f-bombs.

I chose the option to reinstall windows from online and save my data. I thought that would keep the apps I had installed in place.........nope.

I have all my content on external HDs and a couple of cloud services, plus an Acronis by-sector back up........but being faced with a fresh install was appealing so I manually reinstalled all of the software (glad I had all the keys and credentials saved in evernote)

She's all back and running smooth. Damn drivers.......

(this particular response is from a 2015 15" MBP running the public beta of macOS Monterey) I can't help myself

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,944 Posts
Just pushed the button a few hours ago on a Dell.

I hate new computers but...it's time.

Inspiron Desktop
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10400 processor
Windows 11 Home
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with shared graphics memory
8GB, 8Gx1, DDR4, 2666MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Oh, you did get the i5. Good.

You're gonna love that M.2 drive.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,944 Posts
I have no idea what an M.2 drive is but I'm glad I'm gonna love it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Font Audio equipment Technology Screenshot Electronic device

It's your hard drive. No more spinning plates.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Yep, 35 seconds from shut off to working again. Love it. I do resume for them most part. A cold boot is way faster than a resume.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
I remember longer when it was in the Tandy days.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
I picked up a 40MB hard drive that I had to format by hand. Swapping between two 5 1/4" floppies for a few hours straight before it was fully formatted.

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Free for personal use

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
I have that and it snagged all my keys for the products I have on my computer. Very nice.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I build my own desktop computers. You should when installing an operating system install it on a separate drive or partition the drive.

·
Registered
Construction
24 Posts
Anyone installing it? Also what are the odds that QuickBooks Desktop 2019 will be compatible?

Mike.
___
Odds are Quickbooks will work fine.

The big issue of compatibility is more about hardware then any software you're running.

Make sure 100% your machine is compatible BEFORE trying to upgrade as they have changed some fundamental things in the underlying system that make it picky on hardware.
If you have a machine that's made in the last three years you should be fine, older ones can be hit-or-miss.

As far as Quickbooks we use the cloud version so no difference there.
But as far as I'm aware there haven't been software compatibility issues as the OS itself is very similar, not a big change other than cosmetics.

I've been running 11 the last couple months on release preview as I'm IT here and like to be ahead and see issues that are coming.

I like the interface, it's cleaned up a bunch. Like mentioned earlier it's "Mac like" in feel.
Under the hood it's much the same as Win 10, seems to work the same (both the good and the bad).

41 - 60 of 62 Posts