Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
You mean turn it off like going into incognito mode? Where they still track you but just don't enter it into the re ords you can access.

That kind of off?
No turn off anything that asks for feedback/tracking off in settings in windows under privacy and browsers the best way not to be tracked over the internet is a VPN. I use Surfshark on my desktop. On anything else I don't give a sh*t what they track. Unfortunately so many apps don't work without some tracking.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
You can't turn Cortana off. I don't care what it says on your screen, it's never off. And a VPN doesn't do anything because it's hard coded into the OS.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
We are all willing slaves with our own human kind spying upon us. This is truely a prison planet and now we all can see it.

Put on the glasses.

Life imitating art. They Live + Idiocracy would be a pretty close approximation to what we've got now. Amazing how fast it's happened.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
You can't turn Cortana off. I don't care what it says on your screen, it's never off. And a VPN doesn't do anything because it's hard coded into the OS.
I'm going to put that to the test in the next few months. They can opt out of showing on a screen what it's doing, but they can't hide from network sniffers.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
People used Wire Shark to look at incoming and outgoing data packets and found that no matter the setting or the protection you had on there the information kept being sent out. And that's how they concluded that the IPs they were sending it to were hard coded into the OS.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
People used Wire Shark to look at incoming and outgoing data packets and found that no matter the setting or the protection you had on there the information kept being sent out. And that's how they concluded that the IPs they were sending it to were hard coded into the OS.
They found the same crap in Win 10, then they found ways to disable it. Not saying it can be disabled the same ways in 11. I'll block that crap at my firewall if I have to.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts

In Microsoft's Windows 11 blog post, the word "privacy" doesn't appear once in the copy, which doesn't exactly bode well for its messaging. Windows 11 will force users to use a Microsoft Account in its free Home Edition, which already speaks of a business model where your data is the monetization engine. Even if you're using the world's best VPN, it's not exactly going to protect your data from going directly to Microsoft if you're signed in. Apple has been keen to highlight how "free" services like Facebook are free only because you are the product being sold, and Windows 11 doesn't do anything to waylay these fears.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
A VPN doesn't protect you from your comp talking back home. That's not what it's for. Just like a hard hat doesn't protect you from falling off a roof. It can obscure from them where the data is coming from, but not who you are, or what data it sends back home. It's even possible that they can bypass VPN software with their "talk to home" bits if they really want to. They just have to hide another network stack in there, hard code it or otherwise bury it. Theoretically they could even tunnel it over their own VPN. They could even use something like Wireguard to make it all but invisible to you.

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
So……..I updated the driver to my Wacom tablet and it said it needed to restart.

Well.

My win 11 desktop won’t boot past the AORUS screen.

Yep. Returning to macOS seems more and more appealing.

Triangle Automotive design Font Electric blue Symbol

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
F12 boot menu and go to safe mode, remove the update and reboot.

Or does Win10/11 not have a safe mode?

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have a brand new computer don't really know with it is but it is fine with Windows 10 for now.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
GC
1,087 Posts

In Microsoft's Windows 11 blog post, the word "privacy" doesn't appear once in the copy, which doesn't exactly bode well for its messaging. Windows 11 will force users to use a Microsoft Account in its free Home Edition, which already speaks of a business model where your data is the monetization engine. Even if you're using the world's best VPN, it's not exactly going to protect your data from going directly to Microsoft if you're signed in. Apple has been keen to highlight how "free" services like Facebook are free only because you are the product being sold, and Windows 11 doesn't do anything to waylay these fears.
So why not run Linux? It gives you total control over your system, and it's free.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
So why not run Linux? It gives you total control over your system, and it's free.
You're not gonna be running Chief Architect, or any CAD / CAM software worth using. Graphics software isn't all that great, the package management is a trainwreck, idc what distro you use, it can be glitchy and fiddly. You can run a Windows VM, but then you've got to deal with hardware abstraction layer issues - things don't always work all that great in a VM. And I've been daily driving a Linux box for about 7 years as a primary, 6 exclusively.

The vast majority of my servers run Linux or BSD, I love Linux. But I don't recommend it as a primary workstation OS for almost anybody. I probably would have never switched off of Windows if it wasn't for very specific use cases, i'd have just run Linux in a VM. If Windows had Bash, and decent SSH gear I wouldn't be typing this from a Linux box today.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I still regret upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. Everything is worse with 10 on all of my desktops and laptops. Glitches, weird hangs, lots of bloat, random freezes, you name it. 7 worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
GC
1,087 Posts
You're not gonna be running Chief Architect, or any CAD / CAM software worth using. Graphics software isn't all that great, the package management is a trainwreck, idc what distro you use, it can be glitchy and fiddly. You can run a Windows VM, but then you've got to deal with hardware abstraction layer issues - things don't always work all that great in a VM. And I've been daily driving a Linux box for about 7 years as a primary, 6 exclusively.

The vast majority of my servers run Linux or BSD, I love Linux. But I don't recommend it as a primary workstation OS for almost anybody. I probably would have never switched off of Windows if it wasn't for very specific use cases, i'd have just run Linux in a VM. If Windows had Bash, and decent SSH gear I wouldn't be typing this from a Linux box today.
Cad is the only reason I run windows, otherwise it would be linux. My 80 year old MIL kept having trouble with win7, so I installed mint, haven't had an issue since.
Win 10 is ok, but it takes a while to get all the useless crap under control.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
Cad is the only reason I run windows, otherwise it would be linux. My 80 year old MIL kept having trouble with win7, so I installed mint, haven't had an issue since.
Win 10 is ok, but it takes a while to get all the useless crap under control.
You keeping it updated? They're a huge pain to manage in an enterprise environment. Users get stuck not able to do anything without local root access. Or they'll be calling incessantly to install this, change screen resolution, X doesn't work - it's a nightmare when you're managing 100 endpoints. Or even 10. If she's just surfing websites though, nearly anything is fine. Chromebooks are pretty good for that too.

·
Registered
GC
1,087 Posts
You keeping it updated? They're a huge pain to manage in an enterprise environment. Users get stuck not able to do anything without local root access. Or they'll be calling incessantly to install this, change screen resolution, X doesn't work - it's a nightmare when you're managing 100 endpoints. Or even 10. If she's just surfing websites though, nearly anything is fine. Chromebooks are pretty good for that too.
She's 80, so no, she's developing apps or writing scripts. Surfing the web and email are her uses. The one rule she always follows is that whenever something pops up on her screen with a yes/no check box, the answer is always no.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts