Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installing it? Also what are the odds that QuickBooks Desktop 2019 will be compatible?

Mike.
___

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,301 Posts
Why would you? For some time now, I've avoided upgrades simply because they're available--I want a compelling reason. And for quite a while, the only compelling reason has been others' adoption of the upgrades which forced me into it for compatibility reasons.

There are no revolutionary advances in usability that I've seen to make me want to change that policy.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
I did about 4 hours ago.

It looks like a rounded corner refresh with lots of color......kind of old apple-ish
Colorfulness Product Rectangle Gadget Font

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it'll run all the programs 10 ran?

Mike.
___

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Seems stable.....just a pain to find where everything is located and what has changed.

·
Registered
Demolition
62 Posts
Why would you? For some time now, I've avoided upgrades simply because they're available--I want a compelling reason. And for quite a while, the only compelling reason has been others' adoption of the upgrades which forced me into it for compatibility reasons.

There are no revolutionary advances in usability that I've seen to make me want to change that policy.
You think you're bad, I'm still on Win7!!
Bug free and I haven't had a virus in over 10 years.

May skip Win10 and go to Win11 if looks good.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
You think you're bad, I'm still on Win7!!
Bug free and I haven't had a virus in over 10 years.

May skip Win10 and go to Win11 if looks good.
Same here. I'll say here until everything craps out and is no longer able to be compatible.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,168 Posts
Same here. I'll say here until everything craps out and is no longer able to be compatible.
I'm at that point.
Can't get software to download for a printer.
By brothers Dell is supposed to be here this afternoon.
That will be a love/hate thing.
I know my way around 7 pretty well and am fast at getting done what needs to be done.
Not looking forward to 10.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about Win7 is it didn't support DOS. Nothing does now. I have to run an emulator.

But I know the ins and outs of Win7 and refuse to willingly change over to the new spy system they have you all on now. Win7 is bad, Win10 is just like giving the mothership everything you do on that computer.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,168 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about Win7 is it didn't support DOS. Nothing does now. I have to run an emulator.

But I know the ins and outs of Win7 and refuse to willingly change over to the new spy system they have you all on now. Win7 is bad, Win10 is just like giving the mothership everything you do on that computer.
I've decided to keep Win 7 up and running for as long as I can.....offline.
The new one will be for browsing.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I think 10 is better than 7 which simply sucks and so far 11 is better than 10. If your hardware or software is old than you might have issues with any upgrade.

As for spying and tracking find and turn that crap off and change browsers I use Brave but you need another one because some sites won't work on Brave.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
When security updates are no longer a thing due to EOL, those systems still running it should go dark from the internet, and be kept on an isolated network so other computers that are connected to the internet can't be used to exploit it.

I should have been playing with 11 for months now, but there's just too much other things I'm dealing with atm. I personally - and I advise my clients the same - do not upgrade major versions until it's been released into the wild, and any major bugs worked out. That's for production environments obviously, doesn't apply to testing machines.

Same advice I have for brand new models / complete redesigns of cars or other machinery. Let the other people do the experimenting / testing and deal with the headaches.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I think 10 is better than 7 which simply sucks and so far 11 is better than 10. If your hardware or software is old than you might have issues with any upgrade.

As for spying and tracking find and turn that crap off and change browsers I use Brave but you need another one because some sites won't work on Brave.
That's part of giving it time. Give people a chance to find that crap and figure out ways to turn it off.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,728 Posts

You mean turn it off like going into incognito mode? Where they still track you but just don't enter it into the re ords you can access.

That kind of off?

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
We are all willing slaves with our own human kind spying upon us. This is truely a prison planet and now we all can see it.

Put on the glasses.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts