Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has until now escaped me where a screen might fit into a secondhand window I recently framed into my abode.

Attached are a series of pictures showing the detail of the window around at the corners and middle bottom. There is a groove around the sides and top of the window outside both panels (rather than the usual one), but it seems thinner than any screens available. One side is fixed, so I only need to screen half the window width. I thought of trying to discern the manufacturer to reach out to them, but do not see this information on the unit.

Chance anyone recognizes this as being from a certain manufacturer or even the means to screen this properly? I wouldn't expect a window designed without the option of installing a screen, but could this be a possibility?

Wood Tool Finger Material property Household hardware

Window Wood Door Automotive exterior Floor

Brown Wood Shade Hardwood Tints and shades

Door Fixture Wood Gas Tints and shades

Brown Wood Rectangle Composite material Material property

Wood Fixture Window Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Those types of screens suck. You need them to be within a 16th of an inch to fit.

There should be one side that is a smidge deeper than the other. They slide sideways, barely, then contort themselves into place and set on the stool at the bottom. I think. Hard to be sure with the dark frames and closeups.

That is one reason I stopped doing screens. Too many goofy styles and sizings on old windows.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,026 Posts
journeyman finish carpenter

would you recommend a more suitable forum or category?

I take it that despite being a professional, you don't have an answer to my original question.
As you are a finish carpenter, you possess a skill set that I can merely admire from afar.

We get a great deal of DIYers here, sometimes multiple times a day. It was just van honest question, no offense meant.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,486 Posts
As you are a finish carpenter, you possess a skill set that I can merely admire from afar.

We get a great deal of DIYers here, sometimes multiple times a day. It was just with thing van honest question, no offense meant.
And a lot of times first question out the gate is how to do this. Once a person become a part of the group here they tend to get more help with things.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,176 Posts
Agree on lots of old oddball windows, screens. I think vinyl has this generally correct.

As a practical matter, if you can't get the exact screen, Lowes u9 here sells a generic frame and hardware to custom make one. There would be 2 flat springs needed for the deep recess side of the frame. Those get depressed when you install and uninstall the screen frame. They keep it in the shallow recess.

·
Design Build
10,780 Posts
I even used a laser and thought I was dead on, minus play........had to recut 2 sides on everyone I did................I really hate making screens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts