Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Tom, it looks like the horizontals in your pics are pretty much the same color - porch rails, window sills - is that correct?
His window sides/tops are white and sills are brown. Like I said, most HO's I do the different color sills for a the ones that own houses that are 1940's and older.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
3 color scheme is still pretty common. Shutters,front door color, maybe fixtures then siding and trim color.
A little off topic but.....when I was a kid working for my old man storm windows were still used and we would wrap the inside of the double hung sill too. We also installed lots of awnings with coloring in the stripes.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I like the look of the trim. Three colors on all siding and trim not including the front door.

We don't get to wrap too many casings anymore on this side of Lake Champlain, most windows are clad or vinyl.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
When I go back Monday I will try and remember to get a few pictures of how we do our sills with the strip. Were not doing anything to fancy on this house, I did sell a "crown" top that we offer. I will take a picture of that which is pretty nice.
I'll look forward to it. Most guys around bend it and start going crazy banging trim nails in to hold it.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Heres a few pics of what you wanted to see Spencer. The black strip is just double hemmed so the sill can slide into it. The white part of the strip is whats nailed to the old wood sill, and then it just slides into it and the very bottom part of the sill gets nailed to the wall and eventually gets hidden by siding leaving it with no trim nails on any part of the sill.

Ill post a few more of some of our custom trim in a little while

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,838 Posts
Heres a few pics of what you wanted to see Spencer. The black strip is just double hemmed so the sill can slide into it. The white part of the strip is whats nailed to the old wood sill, and then it just slides into it and the very bottom part of the sill gets nailed to the wall and eventually gets hidden by siding leaving it with no trim nails on any part of the sill.

Ill post a few more of some of our custom trim in a little while
Do you have a Tapco brake? See your double hemmed pieces turns out like mine do. Also like the piece you made for over the doors and windows, turn out nice looking.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Do you have a Tapco brake? See your double hemmed pieces turns out like mine do. Also like the piece you made for over the doors and windows, turn out nice looking.
Looks just like mine with a pro-14. Can't get that end piece to fold really, it almost creates a bead. When I did my first aluminum work, I borrowed a Van Mark brake from a friend. 10'6" with 6 "c" clamps. I could have sworn that one made tighter hems than my Tapco.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Tapco PRO19 that gets a ton of metal bent on it. 6 50' boxes of trim on the house pictured, now another 10 boxes of 50' coil on a house we started today. Im adjusting the clamps at least once a week or my brake starts to slip on me. The trim above the doors are what we call "crowns", $150 for a door, $150-$250 for a window depending on how big it is. We also do that along the bottom of a raised ranch/ any house with a bump out. The house we started today has one that I will take a few pictures of to show you. I do about 150 different kinds of bends on the brake for our trim. We get pretty fancy with some stuff.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,838 Posts
I have a Black Max bolted down in my work trailer. I use a fair amount of steel trim coil for roof jobs and make my own cornor capsand things like that so it needs to be bolted down.

For certain trim pieces I kind of like how it makes that little extra bend when hemming.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts