Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent really seen too much of anything to do with Window/Door trim with aluminum trim. Figured I would post a few pictures of what one of our custom window trims look like. We do a built in J-Channel with our trim. I will try and dig through some photos and find some more detailed pictures and some of our other custom pieces we offer.

This customer went with a black sill with white trim. 90% of the time we do the sill the same color as the trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Looks good. Never have done a sill a different color, must have been a good customer to pay for the coil of a diff color

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We dont do too many of that style with black sills. Take a few jobs to go through a full 50' coil so we definitely get our moneys worth.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Nice looking job but I think I would have used black nails in the sill.I don't usually face nail the sill anyhow

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mako1 said:
Nice looking job but I think I would have used black nails in the sill.I don't usually face nail the sill anyhow
Those white speckles aren't nails. Might be snow or paint chips from the soffits. We don't face nail sills. We use a double hemmed strip and nail that to the sill then slide the sill in and nail on a nailer strip under the sill that attaches it to the wall

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
it doesnt look right.. it looks like you started with one color only to run out and then used another with the inentions to paint it...

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
It's not as common as it used to be but different color sills were popular. I did many. Not all colors but black was one colonial red another & I think Wedgewood blue.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It isn't common. We do maybe 2-3 a year where the customer wants to have black sills. If I go through 2 coils of smooth black a year at 50', that's a lot. It's not my cup of tea either but it's what the customer wants. And it's mainly only customers with old houses 1920's and earlier that request black sills.

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
I remember doing siding for a lady where pulled off white aluminum with red fascias & window sills & shutters & put it back the same way only with vinyl siding.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm not a fan of it either. It may have been popular and i understand "doing what the customer wants", but I'm just not a fan today.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,501 Posts
I don't get the issue, people run 3-4-5 color color schemes and nobody has a problem with that, do they?

I just saw an Italianate that had only the bottoms wrapped (different color), the rest, including siding, was original wood.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Those white speckles aren't nails. Might be snow or paint chips from the soffits. We don't face nail sills. We use a double hemmed strip and nail that to the sill then slide the sill in and nail on a nailer strip under the sill that attaches it to the wall
Show us some pics of your install sometime. I'd love to see some action shots of how you install the double hemmed strip and nailer strip. Watching you guys who do siding for a living is a lot of fun. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I've seen it alot. 70s and older homes that have been resided. We have done a few, just to match the existing. I see it so much I never thought about how it looked.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Show us some pics of your install sometime. I'd love to see some action shots of how you install the double hemmed strip and nailer strip. Watching you guys who do siding for a living is a lot of fun. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:
When I go back Monday I will try and remember to get a few pictures of how we do our sills with the strip. Were not doing anything to fancy on this house, I did sell a "crown" top that we offer. I will take a picture of that which is pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts