Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

window treatments...

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
I've been watching keywords for awhile. I recently began tracking many of the more popular keywords that I buy. I have been doing this just to track what insterests consumers at what time of year.

Anyways to make a long story short. There were roughly 1700 searches for "chicago window treatments" in December. That's more than "chicago roofing", "chicago windows" & "chicago siding" combined!

This leads me to belive that there is a HUGE interest for window treatments. Perhaps after I get my window salesman to a level where he requires no further hand holding, he and I can learn window treatments as well.

Any thoughts on the subject? I wonder what the typical margin of profit is on window treatments. I need to do some research into this.

#3 ·
Yeah, there is a huge interest on the web, because people are desperately searching their fingers bloody looking for a cheaper quote!!!!!! :cheesygri :cheesygri

Being as cheap as I am, my wife still can spend $1000 a window before it's all said and done.

In all seriousness, I think you are going to have a real hard time having a window salesman trying to sell window treatments to housewives, unless of course he is gay. If you call up a couple of window treatment people you will probably find most of them are women.

I can't see too many housewives trusting or taking seriously some window salesman who is one moment clunking around the house in work boots wielding a tape measure, talking about windows, framing, trim, r-values ect... and the next sitting down drinking tea with his pinky in the air discussing the beauty of a silk valance and the way the color chartreuse just talks to them, or how this beautiful french braide is going to bring out the color of the carpet and really set off the divan!
:cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

#5 ·
Mike, it is not that easy. The majority of web purchasers run into problems, usually it is due to their measures.
I'm most certainly NOT gay (you can ask my wife and girlfriends) and I can usually steal business from just about anybody in town, including the designers that I work for. The trick is in swapping your BDU's. When I go for a consultation I'm in Polo, Dockers and TopSiders. I have a custom made clipboard and measure sheets that I threw together myself. The best sales tool is that I can drop my pants on price. I operate out of warehouse space, no fancy showroom in the best part of town, no expensive displays and no expensive help. I have studied Sam Walton. Talking the talk is easy after spending many years with Interior Designers.
Can't you see my other post?

#7 ·
All I'm say'in is that it might take a separate sales person to sell window treatments.

Unless you are a silver fox like teetor - of course enticing the housewives with your mini-me by dropping your trousers to close the sale now lets us all in on your secrets of success - and I thought that was just a x-rated movie plot, now I'm finding out it is for real!

Grumpy- As usual I think you are thinking in the right direction, in the very least you might see if you can take advantage of the situtation, you have a good source for leads with every window install - maybe the simplest thing for now would be partnering up with somebody good in the window covering business and cutting a deal for part of the profits on each job you send them that they close?

#11 ·
I could buy into the bedroom deal, I'm very sensitive to light when I'm trying to sleep. As you investigate treatments you will find that they have come a long way. I install many blackout types on the oceanfront, they are required there due to the turtles nesting. Horizontals come with tapes that cover the holes for the lift strings. Go to one of the better stores that carry Hunter-Douglas and Graber, they should have a knowlegable staff.
I don't attempt to deal in box store stuff like Levellor, Bali or Kensington, all trouble in my book. I know they carry H-D and Graber too but are restricted so as not to compete with full service dealers and they don't overspend on training.
Trailers or trains off of cornice or valances will dress up a plain blind install. Use a tight woven or slick fabric. It won't collect dust as rapidly and is easier to clean.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
great prices for cotractors

Hi, I am damien from Chicago. Well pretty much I have a warehouse which I have of mini-blinds, shades, rolelr shades, vertical blinds, curtains drapes. Currently I am selling out alot of rolelr shades to contractors. I have about 20,000 of them. If any contractor wants to buy any of them from me, please email me, or want to bu in a lot please email me at XXXXXXXXX.
My prices are unbatabvle. If you need items please visit my ebay store . go to ebay andgo to ebay stores and type in XXXXXXXXX my store should pop up. You'll be saving yourself tons of money and making tons of money.
thank you
Damien

#14 ·
Damien your post was spam but I encourage you to contact me through e-mail or private messages. I am interested in what you have to say. As you can see I was the one who originated this post.

I am still considering jumping into this business but it is an idea I have on the backburner until I get my roofing/siding busines into full gear.

Who knows, Damien... Maybe if you can set me up with subs I can jump into this next winter.

#15 ·
Grumpy said:
I've been watching keywords for awhile. I recently began tracking many of the more popular keywords that I buy. I have been doing this just to track what insterests consumers at what time of year.

Anyways to make a long story short. There were roughly 1700 searches for "chicago window treatments" in December.

I think it is possible that window treatments also could mean wrapping the outside of the window in aluminum. That's what they called it in my lead abatement class. There are alot of landlords out there that need to encapsulate their flaking lead paint on window's for rentals and what not.

Just a thought though!!!

#16 ·
bob the builder said:
I think it is possible that window treatments also could mean wrapping the outside of the window in aluminum. That's what they called it in my lead abatement class. There are alot of landlords out there that need to encapsulate their flaking lead paint on window's for rentals and what not.

Just a thought though!!!
That's something I already do so I can offer a 1-2 punch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.