Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a repeat customer...(i did his roof and attic insulation in June) asked me to do his windows on rain days.

I have set probably 300-400 windows in my life however many were for clowns that I now know were improperly installed.

I met with him for a quick visit this afternoon seems how I'm doing a roof 3 blocks away. I am looking for ideas on different approaches on finish and scope of work. My idea is to replace the windows pull the siding and tape then rewrap them with proper flanges. Is this the best, most economical approach. Economical as in done right with minimal additional steps and labor? I tossed the idea of maybe doing a flanged window, trimming the siding back, trimming with 1x, and wrapping the trim and j channel together. Anyway here's a couple pix. Thanks in advance for the help and please include pictures in your replies.

This just may end up being a complete exterior over the next couple years as he siding needs some attention as well. ....would be a first for me with my own client.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also...what does a window company call a typical installation? As far as scope goes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Also...what does a window company call a typical installation? As far as scope goes.
Good luck getting a good answer on that.

Is that wood window?

If not then,

Preffered is what you are talking about. Pull the siding, pull the window, set a new window (may have to re-trim or cut down the interior), tape and flash. Takes a little more time, but a good siding guy can de-side and re-side with ease.

If the customer is cheap, we rip the frame out and put a box frame window in. Flash a drip cap as needed, foam all the sides, use metal to seal the window to the siding (wrap over J if possible). You have to be real carefull though. If the J gets pulled because its nailed to the fin, we will reset or use new J because I don't need any warranty headaches down the road.

This is basically what 90% of what all window companies do (at least from what I have seen in the south), and its because of that big asz stupid window company that rolls around saying they do it for less.

Yeah you do it for less, because its crap...

Wood window, if the frame is intact and you don't have to keep current egress standards, then you can do a box frame window. Pull the sashes and set in a new window. Foam, trim (Wrap), caulk and seal.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
#1 sell the new construction windows with built in j & siding all at once, package deal price

#2 new construction w/ j and make it work for now.

#3 Standard replacement window

1 - 4 of 4 Posts