Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to be building a U shaped window seat with some built in tables in a sun room. I've got it all designed, but there is one thing I'm having trouble picturing in my head what will look good and what won't.

I've attached a picture I found on the internet just to show basicly what I'm doing. It will be similar to the picture, but a little fancier and bigger. 14' across the back wall and each leg will be 7'.

In the picture the cushion sits on top of the wood lid. Now what the customer would like is the cushion to sit a pinch down behind the face frame to help keep them in place. I'm wondering how this will look? I've never built one like that.

I was thinking of having my face frame stick up 1/2" above the plywood lid and then have the cushion sit behind the face frame. I don't think that's going to look real good though? And I was also worried about the backs of your knees hitting the front edge of the face frame. Do you guys have any details you've used?

Thank, Dave

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
We have done a bunch of these with 1 1/2" nosing flush to the bottom of the 3/4" top.
I think so long as the cushion isn't too thin, it works without rubbing your legs.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have done a bunch of these with 1 1/2" nosing flush to the bottom of the 3/4" top.
I think so long as the cushion isn't too thin, it works without rubbing your legs.

Thanks Gus,

I like that idea, the cushions are going to be 4" thick high density foam. Do you think that will be thick enough? I know I've seen some pretty thick cushions before.

Dave

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Yes that will be good.

Keep in mind that your butt should be about 12" lower than the table.

You might get about 2" of compression on the pad. If the table is the normal 30", then the plywood top should be around 16" AFF.

Just a guide though.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Just another note.

I much prefer to put drawers in those than hinging lids.

I think it's easier on us and the client.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that will be good.

Keep in mind that your butt should be about 12" lower than the table.

You might get about 2" of compression on the pad. If the table is the normal 30", then the plywood top should be around 16" AFF.

Just a guide though.
Thanks again Gus,

Ok good, I was thinking the same thing on the seat height.

That's funny you mention drawers, I originally priced the job with and without drawers. They ended up having to go with the paneled front with plywood tops to keep it in the budget. I did really want to do the drawers though, it would be much more of a custom look.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts