Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I accept sash replacement, or demand a full reorder?

Here's what happened: I ordered 10 vinyl replacement windows from a local distributor who I use frequently, but from which I've never bought windows.

The order required the windows to have grids & unfortunately when I went to pick them up, no grids. I told the distributor the customer wanted grids & to get me the correct windows that I ordered.

Today (this is two weeks after the original install was supposed to be completed) I discovered that the guy who originally failed to order the grids, instead of ordering new windows to spec, merely ordered replacement sashes. I presume he's going to hand me the original order (which has been in the warehouse these past few weeks) for me to use to install the windows & frames with the rejected sashes & then replace the sashes with the new ones with grids.

Is this okay?

Part of me thinks that I should have the whole set reordered, part of me recognizes that since the original manufacturer is sending replacement sashes to the same spec as the original order (merely with the grids installed, this time) that the sash replacement should be okay.

Thoughts / suggestions?

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I have no idea what your exact arragement is but my replacement window company used to record order conversations and now only process orders that I sign off on. For this very reason. You say one thing the other person didnt hear it that way. The same glass and window will be used for snap in grills, fine light changes that. If you do much business then snap in gills are the easiest way out. Perhaps you can split that cost.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've already established that he messed up the order on his end (the part about grids was in his notes, but not the order). The new sashes aren't costing me a dime (other than in time lost, and frustrating my customer...)

The thing I'm worried about is how the fit & finish of the windows will be affected.

This is a good customer with some potential for follow up work & referrals, so I want her to like the finished product.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Additionally, the fit will be fine as long as the previous dimensions are matched, the vinyle color should not be an issue either

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
who pays to fix this mistake? it recently happened to a friend of mine
who did a window job 2 hrs from his house,it was only 1 window screwed up by the manufacturer

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Feel a whole lot better about how this is going to go.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
who pays to fix this mistake? it recently happened to a friend of mine
who did a window job 2 hrs from his house,it was only 1 window screwed up by the manufacturer

When you buy from a distributor you will. If you buy direct, from a good manufacturer most times they will. This being the distributors fault they should, but I doubt they will

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
What brand are the windows? The sashes may be of some value to hang onto, especially if they are common sizes. You might even consider hanging on to a set of each size for replacements in the event one gets broken in the future. I just bought a replacement for a CR14 Andersen casement from 1985. $135 for double pane with no bells and whistles.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
He said they are replacement windows. Chances of finding anyone but the homeowner with the same size sash are zero to none.

At least they didnt try to just order you glass, and make you pop the glazing seals on all the windows

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At least they didnt try to just order you glass, and make you pop the glazing seals on all the windows

Had to laugh when I read that (thankfully I wasn't drinking milk at the time!)! Had he suggested that, my inner jarhead would have come out & tarnished my nice-guy image:gunsmilie:.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Had to laugh when I read that (thankfully I wasn't drinking milk at the time!)! Had he suggested that, my inner jarhead would have come out & tarnished my nice-guy image:gunsmilie:.
well, the glass option is nice when its your own F'up

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
It's actually cheaper to swap out sashes if you consider how long it takes to swap out an IGU
I have one in the works right now. A window company has hired my company to replace a single IGU in a single hung. After 2 mis-shipments they sent us the glass and I was to install it Monday. Get there and it's 1" too tall. 2hr. trip charge.

Supposedly they will have the replacement using my measure this week and I can reschedule. It's an hourly job with a 2 hour min. By the time they get done I could have sold them a competitors window faster and cheaper.

Good Luck
Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts