Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, in a bit of a pickle. I am remodeling a 6000 sqft house. Window order has been delayed a month. How do i successfully continue without loosing too much time on the schedule. I live in texas and it gets pretty damn hot and humid. Thinking about boarding up window openings and starting sheetrock regardless. what do yall think.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Hey Guys, in a bit of a pickle. I am remodeling a 6000 sqft house. Window order has been delayed a month. How do i successfully continue without loosing too much time on the schedule. I live in texas and it gets pretty damn hot and humid. Thinking about boarding up window openings and starting sheetrock regardless. what do yall think.
Im curious who is this window order from and brand of window? Im doing a job soon where the same thing has happened.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,990 Posts
One of the reason I buy most of mine local. If need to I can have a window in a few days. Whole orders rarely take a month.
Guess I would try and do what I could with out making the job harder to get it done. Did you pull the old ones already? Something I don't do until I have the windows in hand , just because issues can arise.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Do what you have to do.
Would try to do all the remaining exterior work ect, before starting rock.
But if that's all that's left - Be a pain if the drywall returns to the windows, but you'd get a jump on it. If the windows are full depth jamb and cased out not a bad deal.

just make sure not too much rain water can get in during the side ways wind frog drowning gulley washers... 4 weeks it will happen ;)

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
That blows. I've just had a hell of a time getting my interior door order. The factory screwed up left and right and they don't do a damn thing for you to get things out quickly. Took almost 8 weeks from when i ordered till I got my last door. I'm not going through the same supplier again for doors.
Sorry, I forgot to add something helpful to my post. You could board up the window openings, but I think I might put plastic over them first. It's easier to keep them waterproof and it lets in light. But, if you get a bad storm they can blow out. 4 weeks sitting in the sun the poly should be ok. Whatever you do, just keep the water out.

·
Registered
Custom
13,665 Posts
Oversize the rock into the opening by 1/2" past estimated jam... Rotozip is your friend... :thumbsup:

·
Knucklehead in charge
102 Posts
a 6000sqft remodel will keep you busy a full year, I'm sure you have plenty other work that can be rescheduled to fill the void.

Have the exterior work completed up to window install so when they arrive you're ready to go.

remodeling is a dynamic process, every changing in nature

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have noticed a few manufactures falling behind lately. A lot seems to be because of an uptick in multi-family construction. I had to tell a customer today to be careful shopping around as not everyone (especially big box) that some of them are behind.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
TLHWindows said:
I have noticed a few manufactures falling behind lately. A lot seems to be because of an uptick in multi-family construction. I had to tell a customer today to be careful shopping around as not everyone (especially big box) that some of them are behind.
Seems to me most manufacturers are very busy seeing an uptick in business but are hesitant to hire due to the uncertainty of how long this will last hence the delays. Our manufacturers have been shipping us all kinds of partial orders the last few week huge pia for us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have plenty of understanding with timelines. just asking for some professional opinion. Dont think anyone in the industry budgets float time for 1 month of supplier mistakes.

·
Knucklehead in charge
102 Posts
Window order coming from the Andersen factory is 4-6 weeks. I've ordered plenty of Andersens and know their turn-around.

is this 4 week delay on-top of their usual turn-around?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Window order coming from the Andersen factory is 4-6 weeks. I've ordered plenty of Andersens and know their turn-around.

is this 4 week delay on-top of their usual turn-around?
It's at 8 weeks for us currently. They said 4 weeks at first and we have a dead line. Few days after order they changed it to 8 weeks out. If it gets delayed much further then this jobs gonna be a big problem.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Time for them to work out a discount with you BC - considering what they "say" the delivery " date window is.......:rolleyes:

I won't tolerate that....:rolleyes:

JMPOV,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts