Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a basic 36 inch width by 54 height, you guys using ( 2 ) 2 x 6's with 1/2 plywood sandwiched or are you going with 2 x 8's or 2 x 10's ?
Im in the sales end of things but would really like to learn more of the technical stuff.

·
Registered
838 Posts
We usually go with the biggest header that is practical, unless specified otherwise. Overkill doesn't hurt when it comes to headers...

·
Project Superintendent
2,549 Posts
I'm no framer, but if it's a loadbearing wall carrying rafters or second floor joists, needs a structural header as designed by a guy with a degree. Gable end/ no load just needs enough to carry the weight of the upper part of the wall that sits on it.

·
diplomat
5,339 Posts
There's prescriptive code to cover many load bearing scenarios. I don't use an engineer in those situations.

Gable ends can have significant load. When we do 2' overhang with lookouts back to first common truss, each linear foot of gable wall supports 4 sqft of roof load. At 50psf snow, a 6 foot gable end window header has 1200 pounds of load. Not a lot but enough to be cautious of calling it not load bearing.

·
Project Superintendent
2,549 Posts
There's prescriptive code to cover many load bearing scenarios. I don't use an engineer in those situations.

Gable ends can have significant load. When we do 2' overhang with lookouts back to first common truss, each linear foot of gable wall supports 4 sqft of roof load. At 50psf snow, a 6 foot gable end window header has 1200 pounds of load. Not a lot but enough to be cautious of calling it not load bearing.
Well there you go. Guess that's why I'm not a framer.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.