Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a basic 36 inch width by 54 height, you guys using ( 2 ) 2 x 6's with 1/2 plywood sandwiched or are you going with 2 x 8's or 2 x 10's ?
Im in the sales end of things but would really like to learn more of the technical stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If a window is already installed, anyway to get an idea if the size if the header that was used?

·
Registered
818 Posts
We usually go with the biggest header that is practical, unless specified otherwise. Overkill doesn't hurt when it comes to headers...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are a bunch of " king studs", except the contractor in a wheel chair, he's a cripple stud..lol
Thanks

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I'm no framer, but if it's a loadbearing wall carrying rafters or second floor joists, needs a structural header as designed by a guy with a degree. Gable end/ no load just needs enough to carry the weight of the upper part of the wall that sits on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
On cracker jack houses, we typically would use a 2x12 header at every window or door opening. On an 8' wall it works out to the standard height if you use it without cripples above. When in doubt on any header, upsize it. Why risk it for a dollar or two?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
There's prescriptive code to cover many load bearing scenarios. I don't use an engineer in those situations.

Gable ends can have significant load. When we do 2' overhang with lookouts back to first common truss, each linear foot of gable wall supports 4 sqft of roof load. At 50psf snow, a 6 foot gable end window header has 1200 pounds of load. Not a lot but enough to be cautious of calling it not load bearing.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
There's prescriptive code to cover many load bearing scenarios. I don't use an engineer in those situations.

Gable ends can have significant load. When we do 2' overhang with lookouts back to first common truss, each linear foot of gable wall supports 4 sqft of roof load. At 50psf snow, a 6 foot gable end window header has 1200 pounds of load. Not a lot but enough to be cautious of calling it not load bearing.
Well there you go. Guess that's why I'm not a framer.:laughing:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
fifty pounds of snow per square foot? So like six feet of snow? Sounds like a lot of snow.
Code was 40psf, then one year we got that and many roofs, including the truss plant, collapsed :laughing:

6 feet packs down the first 5 feet quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts