Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A window is desired in a bathroom, and the only place to put it is in the tub/shower wall. See the pic attached.

What is shown is a glider window, specified as an all-Ultrex unit from Marvin Windows. No wood, sash or frame. All components are pultruded fiberglass, just like the to-the-weather frame parts of an Andersen Frenchwood hinged patio door.

The way the config is recommended for a slider in this application, is for the sash joint to be on the side away from the showerhead. No problems that way.

Jamb extensions and and sill will be either cut stone or solid surface material. Although the pic shows casings, there will be none. Tile surround will join to jamb extensions and sill, with adequate sealant detailing done.

What other window products (no vinyl please) might be considered here?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
The only other window that I can think of is a glass block window. If you need ventalation from the window then a jalousie window can be added to the glass block.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For an exterior window the U-factor and SHGC are no good. They don't even qualify for the tax credit.

Edit: talking about the hylite. I'm sure the Marvin does qualify though.

I just commented because someone I know used the same brand and I wondered why since there are more energy efficient options.

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple of reasons I do not want vinyl. All other windows in the project will have a dark red exterior color, and dark colors are a no-no in vinyl, and you don't want to paint it.

Other reason is the coefficient of thermal expansion, which for vinyl as compared to pultruded fiberglass is huge. Don't want that, because it affects the sealant interfaces negatively.

OTOH, this window faces N, and is up against the woods.

Pella has a product line called Impervia, the components of which are some sort of "cast" plastic compound. I'll look into that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts