Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some posts and was curious how you guys are determing the pricing for your windows. I've seen guys charging as little as $400 an opening installed. Or for siding $350-$400 a square installed.

I sit about $10.50 a united inch installed ($885 for a 32x53) for windows. Material is $380 and labor is $60. So I can pull about $485 an opening after costs. The margin for siding is even better at $850/sq for siding installed.

I'd encourage everyone to shoot for more money for the expertise this year.

I conducted a little experiment and decided to raise my prices by 10% out of the blue. Just to see if I could do so and not get any blowback. Sales didn't drop a bit. 2 months later I tried for another 10% and I started getting significantly more price objections but the higher margins made up for it. I went down 5% and picked up some extra business. The nice thing is that I'm making a good dollar on the my regular pricing now but I have room to move down if it means the difference and still make a decent dollar.

I notice guys, even in my market, that are so low I can't see how they have a decent living. So just curious how they come up with their pricing. Is it lack of sales skills to sell at that pricing? They're installing themselves and pulling the labor?

·
Banned
556 Posts
unfortunately we are competing against contractors that have no idea what quality is. a customer will call them and say they recieved pricing for windows at 700 an openin and the contractor will say he has the same thing for 400. unfortunately its not the same thing but because it has lowE and argon,the customer thinks he hit a home run. we'll see what kind of home run it is when they start complaining how their new windows leak cold air. quality does'nt come cheap,especially with windows.
another thing,alot of these pick up truck contractors are happy if they have beer money at the end of the week and severely lack in the motivation and aspiration department.
good foam backed siding with a tear off is on average 675 -700 per sq.

·
Banned
658 Posts
i'm currently engaged in the same exact conversation. a quality siding job with a tear off and good quality material will be at least 550-575 per sq. thats for a quality 12 foot siding panel. of course the price goes up if insulation is added or crown moulding ect...foam backed siding could be 100 bucks more per sq.
that price includes aluminum and soffits by the way.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We get:
888 for fullback siding
750 for a 12' panel with no fullback
650 for 30 yr roofing
850 for a premium vinyl and 1100 for a FG window
and finally:
1050 for fiberglass siding

That's more than double what some people charge. I don't understand how they saty in business

·
Banned
658 Posts
thats a nice window although the 5155 is much nicer looking. the raised lock keeper on the 5300 make it look somewhat ugly in a way. the 5155 can be ordered with a foam filled frame as well as fiber glass reinforcement.they don't advertise the 5155 that way but it can be done.
how much more (average) you upcharge for new construction?
you do your replacement from the outside or inside?

·
Banned
556 Posts
thats a nice window although the 5155 is much nicer looking. the raised lock keeper on the 5300 make it look somewhat ugly in a way. the 5155 can be ordered with a foam filled frame as well as fiber glass reinforcement.they don't advertise the 5155 that way but it can be done.
how much more (average) you upcharge for new construction?
you do your replacement from the outside or inside?
i agree on the 5155 and yes,you could add those upgrades.
there is talk the 5300 will now have a lock/tilt feature similar to the soft lite elements window where the tilt is incorporated into the lock. personally,i like how the keeper is recessed into the face of the sash on the 5155 with the sloped sill.
i get anywhere between 75 and 100 more for new construction.
we do most from replacements from the inside although every now and then we do an outside install. no one way is better than the other.
as far as pricing,the guys installing for 450 per square are probably using junk material and quite honestly,how good could their craftsmanship be..not that good or else they would be charging much more instead of barely making enough money to buy a bag of heroin.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i agree on the 5155 and yes,you could add those upgrades.
there is talk the 5300 will now have a lock/tilt feature similar to the soft lite elements window where the tilt is incorporated into the lock. personally,i like how the keeper is recessed into the face of the sash on the 5155 with the sloped sill.
i get anywhere between 75 and 100 more for new construction.
we do most from replacements from the inside although every now and then we do an outside install. no one way is better than the other.
as far as pricing,the guys installing for 450 per square are probably using junk material and quite honestly,how good could their craftsmanship be..not that good or else they would be charging much more instead of barely making enough money to buy a bag of heroin.

The 5300 was supposed to get those upgrades in June of 08:laughing:
The 5100 is better looking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I notice guys, even in my market, that are so low I can't see how they have a decent living. So just curious how they come up with their pricing. Is it lack of sales skills to sell at that pricing? They're installing themselves and pulling the labor?
that was phrased perfectly.no one wants to tell the help how to bid.especially if they do good work and have access to start up money.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Profit is not a 4 letter word.
I don’t have anything against profit. I just would not be able to sell any jobs at that price. I only know of 2 or 3 companies that have prices higher than mine and they are nowhere near yours.

There isn’t very much roofing getting done in Michigan regardless of the price.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I don’t have anything against profit. I just would not be able to sell any jobs at that price. I only know of 2 or 3 companies that have prices higher than mine and they are nowhere near yours.

There isn’t very much roofing getting done in Michigan regardless of the price.

NY is a vastly different economy. I feel your pain man.

·
Serrano
17 Posts
You cannot compare different market prices.I have a freind in Ohio that has sales of 2/3 of mine,smilair GP,and 1/2 the income.Ave house cost is 1/2 of here,prop taxs 1/3,foreman make 1/2 of what we pay.So he lives very well with a much lower cost of living.

Buddy has done a great job of defining his customer,marketing to them selling a premium product.All calls are qualified hard.Why waste time with someone that is not your prime client.

I would bet 30% of all leads are diqualified,advertised leads close at about 40%,repeat and referral at 70%.Having a good plan and following allow him to do what he has done.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You cannot compare different market prices.I have a freind in Ohio that has sales of 2/3 of mine,smilair GP,and 1/2 the income.Ave house cost is 1/2 of here,prop taxs 1/3,foreman make 1/2 of what we pay.So he lives very well with a much lower cost of living.

Buddy has done a great job of defining his customer,marketing to them selling a premium product.All calls are qualified hard.Why waste time with someone that is not your prime client.

I would bet 30% of all leads are diqualified,advertised leads close at about 40%,repeat and referral at 70%.Having a good plan and following allow him to do what he has done.
You have a friend? :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been reading some posts and was curious how you guys are determing the pricing for your windows. I've seen guys charging as little as $400 an opening installed. Or for siding $350-$400 a square installed.

I sit about $10.50 a united inch installed ($885 for a 32x53) for windows. Material is $380 and labor is $60. So I can pull about $485 an opening after costs. The margin for siding is even better at $850/sq for siding installed.

I'd encourage everyone to shoot for more money for the expertise this year.

I conducted a little experiment and decided to raise my prices by 10% out of the blue. Just to see if I could do so and not get any blowback. Sales didn't drop a bit. 2 months later I tried for another 10% and I started getting significantly more price objections but the higher margins made up for it. I went down 5% and picked up some extra business. The nice thing is that I'm making a good dollar on the my regular pricing now but I have room to move down if it means the difference and still make a decent dollar.

What city are you in? I'm in Michigan, and don't consider the prices quoted as unreasonable, but it is hard to make a decent living unless if there is work year around, which right now there isn't. I'm single, have no house payment, no other expenses, which helps.

Oh, and I'm no hack, I'm rather obsessive about quality and detail. I'm the one who posted about my first curved staircase http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ earlier.

I am interested in making more money if the market will hold it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts