Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still not set up after losing the HD and forgot to turn off the auto-updates. As a result I have installed win pac 2. I have not heard a lot of good things about it and now I notice that my internet connection has slowed down almost to dial-up speed. C-NET bandwidth check is 2290.8 Kbps. What's up?
Somebody told me to uninstall the service pack. I'm open for ideas.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I'm still not set up after losing the HD and forgot to turn off the auto-updates. As a result I have installed win pac 2. I have not heard a lot of good things about it and now I notice that my internet connection has slowed down almost to dial-up speed. C-NET bandwidth check is 2290.8 Kbps. What's up?
Somebody told me to uninstall the service pack. I'm open for ideas.
On my list of things to concern myself with, worrying about whether or not I have Service Pack 2 installed is way down there. Here's my idea:
In a clean mortar mixer add 10 lbs. ice... :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odd that you should mention that. I just went for an ice cold one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just installed sp2 on my wife's machine a couple days ago. Had to go through all the settings and configs afterward to makes sure things looked okay. I see a couple of features that look decents for Windows users. I don't use Windows at all anymore. But I get to constantly play with it keeping my wife's computer clean.

If you do install it, remember, Micro$oft has already issued 2 updates/patches for it. The most recent one fixes a configuration problem(their words) that for people with dial-ups, made the entire internet part of their local network. They don't call it a security problem though.

Don
Don

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things were flying by pretty rapidly but I thought that I saw a firewall downloading. Is it possible that with Norton IS that I'm running 2?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just on a hunch, I defragged the disc. Everything is very cool.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Get another stick of ram. I haven't had any problems with the service pack. But I installed more ram a few months before it came out in nov/dec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts