Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

I am a hard surface installer by trade and this is my first topic and i would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

I have a job coming up soon to install 1360 sf of the Wilsonart Estate Plus which I have never installed before. I have read the pdf's and also the Wilsonart installation guide and I did not find answers for all of my questions.

This job consists of 4 rooms in a daylight walkout basement on a 11 year old dry concrete slab. My customer purchased it thru me at Prosource and they sold her a generic blue foam underlayment. I will install a separate poly moisture layer and overlap and tape the joints.

Here are a few questions if you could help me.

1- Wilsonart calls for a 8-mil poly, I am having trouble locating an 8-mil. Where do you get it or can you double up a 4 or 6-mil to compensate?

2- Would I just be better off to exchange the underlayment for a 2in1 or 3in1 padding since I can't find the 8-mil poly?

3- Can you reverse directions without routing and splining this TAP-N-LOCK joinery system?

4- I noted in the instructions that I should not exceed 1040sf without a t-mold. I will be doing the trim out with new base and shoe molding. Can I allow plenty of expansion like 3/4" for movement without having to use a t-mold? The longest single run will be 38ft, and the total basement length is 54ft by 25'6". The doorways are 3ft wide.

5- lastly, Wilsonart shows a diagram of how to start the first 4 rows. I will do it that way but it seems to me that the floor will have a stair-step pattern doing it this way. What is your experience on using this layout?

Sorry for the length but I fret a lot about details and want the job to be done right. I know I can call Wilsonart but having a fellow installer's first hand experience is valuable to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. :Thumbs:

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I am suprised they want an 8 mil. Not sure where you will find it.

The stair step is the way to go. And do not forget to "shuffle the deck" so the same planks do not sit side by side.

I would not add an extra expansion, it should not do anything to help you.
I know t molding is kinda lame, but it really really helps the floor breathe better.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You don't say where you are from. A 60 yr old slab in FL doesn't mean squat. Most of the time, the water table is just underneath it. Use a concrete sealer, 2 coats. Then follow the directions.
I use 2-in-1 by Armstrong, personal preference. Most times 2 deep.
My personal experience is that this stuff does not move around as much as most would lead you to believe. I live in So. FL and in humidity (see some other posts). I have had 1 giant floor (not installed by me) see problems.
Look in the back posts and you should find most of your answers. Any new ones, wer're ready

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in southwest Virginia Teeter. I had the homeowner order t-molds with the flooring order and she knows that wherever I have to use one, that is where it will go.

I don't have complete trust in the 2in1 pads because I know of one dealer in Florida that had some serious issues with that, although it was the Pergo brand and not the Armstrong brand. He posted on some flooring forums about a year ago if anyone else was having problems.

Florcraft I appreciate the tip on mixing the repeats. I do not understand the 8-mil poly either but that is what Wisonart requires you to use.

I do not install many laminates as my main business is tile and hardwood. All of my laminate jobs have used the Uniclic joinery system and I have not worked with Wisonart's Tap-N-Lock joinery.

Have a great day

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Jerry, I sort and stack patterned flooring. Sometimes there are as few as 6 patterns and it's not unusual to end up with one or two of the stacks having quite a few more than the others. It's best to know this ahead of time so that you can work them in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teeter, that is the kind of advice that an installer appreciates. :Thumbs:

Learn all you can from someone who's been there, done that.

Thanks man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts