Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Machine is a big floor sander which runs on 220. The stove in the home is electric and connects to a 10-50 receptacle and I would like to get my power there. I replaced both plugs on the extension cord and would like to know if it appears I proceeded correctly, or perhaps my creation is unusable for one reason or another.

** I have edited the original image to show the green wire going to the flat blade, white and black at the angles. Thanks, Plumber Bill, for pointing out the original configuration may have been, uh, a little unsafe.

If it helps, the sander's stats are:
Motor type .....single-phase AC motor; Voltage .....230 V; Frequency .....50 Hz; Output .....2.2 kW; Fusing .....16 A; Insulation class .....B; Protection rating .....IP 54; Starting capacitor .....60 μF; Operating capacitor .....40 μF.

I have very little electrical knowledge. I hope someone here can take a look and give a helpful comment.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Not a sparky here, but you need to reverse the green (grnd) and the white (hot). Check both the male and the female ends to make certain the green wire is in the middle.

Just 2 cents from an insomniac. Since this is electrical and I am no sparky, let one of the sparkies confirm the wiring configuration and comment on the rated amperage of the sander and the stove circuit. The difference in the rated amperage of the stove circuit and the rated amperage of the sander may make a difference in the protection provided to the sander and you.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I have to question running the 50hz motor at 60 hz. All motors are not made the same, & some can run on both 50, & 60 hz, but you might want to verify the motors ability to run on 60hz. Green is pretty much always ground, & needs top be on straight lug. Black, & white are two hot leads to angle lugs.

You might want to make up a fuse box to protect your motor. Running a 16amp motor on a 50 amp breaker, & small wire, is not a good practice.
Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boman, thanks for the useful reply. I had already been planning to get a sparky to check this all out in person, so the responses I'm getting confirm thats a great idea.

...Check both the male and the female ends to make certain the green wire is in the middle...
I looked again at the instructions I followed to wire the plug. It clearly shows the white wire going to the middle, BUT! it shows black and RED to the side blades. :laughing: This is why I am asking for a pro to check all of this out beforehand. A novice :whistling might deduce that when they say black-white-red, it must be the same as black-white-green. D'oh!

...let one of the sparkies confirm the wiring configuration...may make a difference in the protection provided to the sander and you.
Exactly the kind of opinion I am seeking: useful. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to question running the 50hz motor at 60 hz. All motors are not made the same, & some can run on both 50, & 60 hz, but you might want to verify the motors ability to run on 50hz....You might want to make up a fuse box to protect your motor. Running a 16amp motor on a 50 amp breaker, & small wire, is not a good practice.
Joe
Point taken. As I said, I know little about electricity, so such a consideration is duly noted. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...You might want to make up a fuse box to protect your motor....
...The difference in the rated amperage of the stove circuit and the rated amperage of the sander may make a difference in the protection provided to the sander and you...
Thanks for the feedback. Have a look at the final solution. I used it today and it worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Speaking of wire colors, is that extention rated for 220/240? When I think of black, white and green, I think 110, hot, nuetral, and ground.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sure it "works" but it appears you are only protecting one conductor. Isn't that a single pole breaker?
Thanks for your observation TxElectrician. I will contact the Electrician who set me up with this item and pose this question to him. I started this thread because I desire safety, so a response like yours is much appreciated. I will post the electrician's reply.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I am sure it "works" but it appears you are only protecting one conductor. Isn't that a single pole breaker?
I see the same thing.

Speaking of wire colors, is that extention rated for 220/240? When I think of black, white and green, I think 110, hot, nuetral, and ground.
Electricity is many things, including color-blind. It doesn't care what color the insulation is. That's why you can use the white as a hot as long as it's re-identified.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Thanks for your observation TxElectrician. I will contact the Electrician who set me up with this item and pose this question to him. I started this thread because I desire safety, so a response like yours is much appreciated. I will post the electrician's reply.

As long as you're going for safety, go ahead and install a connector on the cable as well. :thumbsup:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
What will you do when you come to a house that has a 4-wire dryer line receptacle?

You might want to have 2 such set ups, one for the 3-wire, and one for the 4-wire.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
What will you do when you come to a house that has a 4-wire dryer line receptacle?

You might want to have 2 such set ups, one for the 3-wire, and one for the 4-wire.
Or when the dryer is gas, mebbe you should have a 3rd and 4th one for the two range receptacle possibilities.

Oh, wait.... that might be gas, too.:whistling

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Electricity is many things, including color-blind
Agreed. Same reason the first configuration would work as long as the the configuration was the same on both ends if all three wires were the proper size. Black tape or paint on the white and good to go? Cord looks big enough since it will only be pulling 16 amps, right? How many amps would that sander pull at startup?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts