Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a house today where the last contractor built a small 8 by 14 addition the existing roof was an 8 pitch and it came down to the aditiion which was like a 3 or 4 im guessing there was a valley also going down in the adition's roof. and heres the begining of the hack job. The valley was filled with cement which came down to the 4 pitch addition and they made like a little canal so the water would continue down. the homeowner was up there with me for the first look, so i asked him and he said 1 it was leaking and they had to use concrete to hold the plywood down because i kept lifting up. and i noticed the roof was super springy and after tearing up the shingles i noticed they laid 2 by 4 raftera 2 ft on center. i wish i brought my camera. ive seen framing like that a bunch but i never seen cement on a residential roof.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Someone told him "roofing cement"......:whistling

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the more i think about it, im surprised the lime didnt eat away at the shingles. im just at aw that the homeowner let them mix a bag of cement and tote it up on the roof. you dont have to be in the trades to think that something is wrong with that picture.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
im just at aw that the homeowner let them mix a bag of cement and tote it up on the roof. you dont have to be in the trades to think that something is wrong with that picture.
I'm in the trades and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. At least 2-3 times on every job we find ourselves mixing cement and taking it up on the roof. The best part is that most of these are kitchen remodels...:blink:

·
Registered
185 Posts
The valley was filled with cement which came down to the 4 pitch addition and they made like a little canal so the water would continue down. the homeowner was up there with me for the first look, so i asked him and he said 1 it was leaking and they had to use concrete to hold the plywood down because i kept lifting up.
:eek:

They used concrete to hold roof sheeting down?!>!

I guess they don't make nails like they used to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts