Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this on a few homes; hairline crack at bed joints between brick and mortar, almost as if mortar had shrunk away from brick slightly. This is not a crack in the mortar or brick but between mortar and brick, almost like a separation. Cracks are uniform in width, and the condition is uniform across the wall.. What should a home inspector say about this condition? Is it a structural concern?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,983 Posts
Don’t usually care about what home inspectors say.

They are in general know-nothing ignoramuses who couldn’t hack it in construction due to gross incompetence and laziness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, I couldn't find any photos, and this is not about a particular house. I write a library of narratives and am writing one for this condition. It's not a real common condition and I mostly see it in Colorado in homes built in the 1960s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nope, at least 50% are retired from the building trades after 30 or 40 years because their backs hurt and they're tired of doing the same thing all the time. Some have lost jobs due to the changing economic situation. There's good ones and bad ones and everything in between, just like in a lot of other industries. The new/bad ones get work by offering low prices and home buyers who price shop for a home inspector can get poor inspections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts