Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if anyone might have their WIC coming off the Ensuite? We are in the planning stages of building our first house and we are unsure about the Ensuite/WIC combination. The plan has an arch between the two but we are concerned with the steam from the shower effecting our clothing. This is the layout Floor plan Technical drawing Diagram Drawing We are thinking about adding in a pocket door to help control the moisture just unsure if it is needed

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
One suggestion, if you are going to have your closet in the bath area like that, redesign your toilet area so it is in its own room.

Unless of course you and the Mrs. don't mind dumping in front of each other while you are getting dressed.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
working on plans for my own house also. The lady wanted WIC connected to master bath. I nixed it for the moisture protection. But I gave her a pocket door between WIC and laundry room.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
One suggestion, if you are going to have your closet in the bath area like that, redesign your toilet area so it is in its own room.

Unless of course you and the Mrs. don't mind dumping in front of each other while you are getting dressed.
This is the exact configuration of ours. Almost the same as the plan but with a door at the toilet. We have a door for the wic but we never close it. Of course we live in a very dry environment and that steam dissipates in the large bathroom very quickly.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Echo Robert.....

Here in Colorado, we have plenty of WIC's off master bath, seldom with doors.....never heard of any problem.....

BUT, we are a very dry climate and I have no idea about a high humidity environment.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Every design has its constraints, but I always liked the closet sandwiched between the bath and the bedroom. that way you have a sort of buffer zone between the two that 1) gives a little privacy 2) blocks a little of the noise in the bath if one person gets up earlier than the other.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I'm concerned with the lack of privacy for the master and bedroom 3. Bathrooms and closets are often a great sound buffer between rooms. Instead, you have those 2 rooms back to back, where sound transmission will be easy between them. That's not a situation that I'd be comfortable with, even if bedroom 3 will only serve as a guest room.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Live_oak said:
I'm concerned with the lack of privacy for the master and bedroom 3. Bathrooms and closets are often a great sound buffer between rooms. Instead, you have those 2 rooms back to back, where sound transmission will be easy between them. That's not a situation that I'd be comfortable with, even if bedroom 3 will only serve as a guest room.
Bc we are moving laundry to the second floor they are insulating the bedroom walls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts