Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Design Build
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sent, unsupervised, to Costco a couple days ago.

Well.....I typically do the "Every aisle review" thing when I can. You never know what thing might be cool.

They had a Netgear Orbi system (router plus 2 satellites) as a kit. It was time to streamline my network.

Once I had everything connected and working, the wireless speed tests were crazy. I pay for 1Gb down and 40 Mb up. I've never seen that speed but on an ethernet cable I can get in the low 900 Mbits/s on a computer. The mobile devices have never gone above 300Mb/s.

This has all changed.

And as a bonus, I was able to get rid of my old apple router which has not been supported for a very long time. The main head unit was an Asus with 8 or so antennas, and worked okay....but not wi-fi 6.

With wi-fi 6, my iPhone 12 hit 940 Mb/s.........cray. There shall be NO LAG in this realm!!! Stream all the content you want, humans!
Azure Font Aqua Material property Screenshot

Reactions: Robie

·
Design Build
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
White Light Product Blue Yellow

It's been years since I upgraded..........I happened to watch some YouTube videos on wifi 6 the night before........so this display caught my eye

Reactions: Robie

·
Design Build
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would really like some of these metal shelves they use.......costco, HD, etc. They look mega tough.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Contractor
8,077 Posts
I would really like some of these metal shelves they use.......costco, HD, etc. They look mega tough.
They are tough, I bought some of those pallet racks a few years ago from a local lumber/ hardware store that the HD undercut and ran out of business.

If you weren't out on the West coast...a buddy of mine has a bunch of that stuff. He'd let it go cheap.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,243 Posts
I just picked up a section pallet racking last week. Shelf beams are 12’, rated for 5,600lb per shelf. Handy.

The home depot lumber racks are crazy strong. Imagine being in that meeting when they decided they would let customers climb under a full bunk of lumber to grab the one decent 2x4 in the back from the bottom shelf?

“Our insurance carrier requests they be built strong.”

“How strong?”

“Yes.”

Reactions: wallmaxx

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
How would I go about testing my current speed?

Wi fi for the smart tv, has to buffer a tad.

What could I expect for increased distance? My router is on a shelf in the upstairs loft. Open floor plan, but poor reception in the kitchen. Little reception on the driveway pad.

Reasonable to expect reception in my treehouse 60 yards from the house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Part of the buffering might be CenturyLink. I'm on Xfinity and just took this test on my phone.
This is part of the Orbi app. Seems crazy to be this fast...........I'm going to run some other tests.
Azure Font Aqua Material property Screenshot

·
Design Build
10,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well. The Orbi app seems a bit inflated. Here is safari on iOS at the speediest dot net site.

Font Sky Electric blue Rectangle Signage

wifi with cellular off
Font Sky Electric blue Circle Rectangle

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Geez. We only get like 35mbps. We can Skype, Stream HD on two tvs, game on one and stream music all at the same time, no problem.

What do you use all that speed for?

We are jumping to Spectrum as soon as our Verizon 4gLTE modem is paid for. Then we can get like 100 mbps.

I just need a wired isp to stream games. Other than that, 35 is enough.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GC dual
45 Posts
I was sent, unsupervised, to Costco a couple days ago.

Well.....I typically do the "Every aisle review" thing when I can. You never know what thing might be cool.
I can relate to that statement
,, and easily squirreled as well lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts