Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 40 year old metal building that they wrapped in thin brick about 7 years ago. A double layer of building paper, ungalvanized lath and what feels like a Type S scratch coat over plywood sheathing. It was apparently not sealed, and there is no overhang, so what hits the walls is absorbed by the wall. It is not repairable, it all has to go.

Attachments

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
**** job.....I never seen ungalv.wire except for rib lathe we used in side batroom mud jobs etc. I wonder if the used a calcium accelerant and it rusted to hell. The false sense of security people get by scratching undimpled wire is amazing. In addition the would be normal brown coat[a double up coat normally] is in reality merely a bunch of conecting patches which the brick or stone are stuck to.

Many don't know tha stucco on plywood cracks from swelling. It needs a margin between the horz joints. Worse is when the plywood extends pasts the box at each floor esp in 2x10 and 12 joist......Its a good tie in for the walls but the end up floating on the sheathing when the joists shrink thereby buckling the sheathing.

Masons find this out doing a fp on a old home..each floor the brick gets tight /sheathing loose and bulged.

The biulding is steel so it had to be all those bricks funneling in water past the poor excuse for stucco;the tar paper which was more than likely riddled with staples and bruises from the stapler head hitting at an angle. Then came the wire to make more holes..
And to think I dabbed a spot of silicone before screwing in my wall ties then more over the head.....this was before ss screws came out..lol

Years ago I repaired a old stucco home ...it had the 1'' stucco with a dash coat[wisk broom diped in cement slurry for the finish.] I was amazed how well it held up without cracks and the only reaso a section failes was the chimney leaked.

I had ungalv. ribed wire on vertical furring strips which were naild on the studeline over the northern yellow pine sheathing. ie no plywood to swell .... The thickness of the stucco keeps the wire from rusting......like a morar tub....lol rather the galv though!

WITH ALL THE THIN STONE GOING ON TYVECK and stone walls laid with thin stand up rocks and shallow footings,.. backed with loose layed stone....my son's got his retirement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts