Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Why are you in the trade that you are?
Hmmm. I'm still scratching my head on that one. This is the only type of work that I've ever done that I can get out of bed easily in the morning. I've done other types of things that were not construction or electrical related, and most would cause me to dread the next morning. I guess I really enjoy electrical work.
ProWallGuy said:
How did you get introduced to it?
My father operated a few hotels, restaraunts, and dinner theaters. From a very young age, I would follow around the plumbers, electricians, elevator repairmen, painters, carpet/tile men, etc. The electrical work particularly appealed to me. When I was a very young teenager (tool young to actually legally work) I was apprenticing to an old timer. I did take a little time off for college and a few other adventures chasing the fast buck, but I came back to electrical construction.
ProWallGuy said:
Why did you stay in it?
I suppose when you find something you're good at and successful at, it doesn't make much sense to do anything else. I have always done other things along with electrical work (the occasional rehab, build new, etc.), but they are generally related to the trade. While electrical is my main trade, I've learned and worked in a few other trades for short periods just to expand my horizons. Even if I'm fixing a walk-in freezer or repairing a grain elevator, I still tell everyone I'm an electrician.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm in the trade because it's good money if you know what you are doing.

I got into this trade by accident, meaning it was supposed to be temporary until my computer career took off but I realized the potential and shifted gears abandoning my computer career.

Why have I stayed in my trade? See the answer to #1.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Why are you in the trade that you are?
I was looking for a job, and one opened up in a flooring place for a warehouseman.

How did you get introduced to it?
After a couple years, I requested to get into sales. The Owner encouraged me to try, after I cut my hair :)

Why did you stay in it?
Turns out I was pretty good at it. I started outselling people who have been in the biz for years.
It was all enthusiasm.....
Don't ever lose that...or the young ones will show you what you are missing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My dad was in the concrete business so I'd been around the industry all my life. When I turned 18 I started driving cement mixers after school. One day a teacher asked me what I was doing going half days to school (I had plenty of credits to graduate) and then enrolling in the "work experience" program. I told her I was driving cement mixers. Out of curiousity, she asked how much money I made doing that. When I told her, her jaw dropped and she said I made more money than she did. I've done everything one can do in this business. From place and finish, to busting tires, to batchman and driver. I'm now a sales rep, and enjoy my work. I never do the same thing, and there is always something new.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I needed money for my growing family without an education is the "why".

The "how" is by my brother's advice and contacts.

I went to work for a commercial general contractor as a laborer. I begged for hours and took on responsibilities I wasn't ready for, all to earn more money. Eventually, after softening up my head running into brick walls, I have reached a level of competence and confidence as a superintendent. Having learned a little bit about a lot of things, and never mastering any trade, is "why" I have to stay in my role.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm in the trade I am because I grew up with my grandfather basically being my father and he did this kind of work, lil bit of everything and I enjoyed starting with nothing and walking away from a project with something to show for my blood, sweat, and beers....actually dont drink much, but sounds good:)

Introduced to it from a family member

Why did I stay in it?...Well I wont azz kiss so I cant work for any company and expect to reach a level "I" think I should be at for both responsiblity and salary wise. I dont have a higher education, threw my great grades away in HS chasing puzzy and partying, could've been ALOT more and still could, but am content where I'm at as I get to meet new people all the time, use my imagination, and most of all as stated above, start with a pile of wood and walk away with a sturcture of some sort, that will enhance peoples lives for years to come, helping people, but getting paid too:)

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My story goes like this:
I was really getting into major trouble in highschool, so my 'punishment' was to work during the summer with my Grandfather. He was a Swedish immigrant, about 6'5", 300#, and mean as hell. But he taught me good work ethics, and trained me to do things the right way the first time. I worked with him for 3 summers, and some weekends until I graduated.
Got a partial scholarship to UM Rolla for engineering, but as soon as I got there, I set up shop, in the most illegal fashion. Also got into the fun lifestyle of
chasing puzzy and partying
and just never seem to make it to class. Got booted from school a short time later. Came home, and flirted with police/jail-time before I pulled my head out of my a$$.
Went to work for a w/c and painting company, and stayed for about 10 years, still
Finally, woke up, and started my own thing.
Why, because I like to do it.
I stay in it because as I said above, I like it, and I also see no one waiting to fill my shoes. True paperhangers are a dying breed.

BTW, even after getting married and settling down, i still miss

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
BTW, even after getting married and settling down, i still miss...
Funny how that works, ain't it? :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Nice thing about being older and married is it really opens up the spectrum of what you can look at. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I grew up doing repairs and improvements as my folks owned a lot of rentals. I never could live on a salary, so I started working for a "kindly" old Swede who showed me cabinet making. That branched into general contracting, most of which went to pay for "Partying and chasing 'tang"
But I met a great gal and those days ended. (So did the marriage...now with a teenage granddaughter living a mile a way, one call safely call me *Saint Shopdust, the Pure*.)
Funny how life works out?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I got into this trade by accident also. I worked at a local paper mill here in Green Bay, WI which wasnt fun but it was a good paying union job with great bennies. Then we got bought out and I wasnt high enough on the list to keep my job. I took a mason tending job to start makin some money but it turned out to be great work. I loved bustin my ass outside accomplishing something compared to being a millrat stuck in a wheel. I had the right build for the work, 6'2" 265lbs, but Im not mean lol. It all came kind of naturally.

I did that for a few years then started my own business and I love it. I cant really see me doing anything else, except winning the lottery and moving to Port Douglas, Australia.

·
Registered
69 Posts
long winding road

I used to tag along with my grandfather who was a plumber and he introduced me to tools at an early age. In JHS I discovered woodworking and got involved in that through college.Went through the carpenters union in NYC after college.Did not like it as it was all sheetrock and metal studs.
Worked for a contractor and myself. Continued in that for 10 years.
Then went through the HVAC apprenticeship(5 years). Commerical HVAC. Pays good but I did not like it so back to carpentry/cabinetwork for myself.

Sounds stupid but I had no passion for HVAC. Don't know why I pursued HVAC for 5 years.

My goal is to build my business and have people working for me. Not bragging but I am a very good carpenter compared to a lot of the work I have seen. It seems to be my natural talent.People comment that I do excellent work and that is nice to hear. Plus I do not work cheap like some people. I don't know why some guys charge so little but I will not do that.
If Mr.Handyman can get $90 an hour I expect to get paid well. I love tools and working with tools. I have a masters degree from college but I have a lot of respect for tradespeople if they are good and not jerks. I have met a lot of jerks. I have met a lot of jerks with masters degrees also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts