Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is currently having a house built and the builder has installed a dual Ruud HVAC system. A gas powered HVAC in the basement and a smaller electric heatpump in the attic for the 2nd floor. The house is around 2600 square feet not including the unfinished basement.

Is this the way to go these days.

·
Registered
227 Posts
robertc65 said:
A friend of mine is currently having a house built and the builder has installed a dual Ruud HVAC system. A gas powered HVAC in the basement and a smaller electric heatpump in the attic for the 2nd floor. The house is around 2600 square feet not including the unfinished basement.

Is this the way to go these days.
Depends alot on the layout of the home and cost/ability to run ductwork that is zoned with one system. Having 2 systems though allows for greater comfort than trying to do the whole house as one unzoned system.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HVAC Doc said:
Depends alot on the layout of the home and cost/ability to run ductwork that is zoned with one system. Having 2 systems though allows for greater comfort than trying to do the whole house as one unzoned system.
What is the proper terminology when refering to two separate systems? I was under the impression that zoning was a single system with multiple thermostats and dampers to control where and when the air should go. Are two separate systems a type of zoning also?

I used to live in a townhouse and was never able to cool the 2nd floor enough. I can see if a system were in the attic with all local duckwork then I would have a much better chance.

I have a new house which I'm not totally moved in yet. I want to make sure that I can heat and cool to my comfort level. I would be willing to spend 5K or so beefing up the system if it does not do the job. As far as duct work goes If need be I can get a duct anywhere it's required. I'm comfortable with a reciprocating saw, Dry wall work and a paint brush. My wife does the spackling.

·
Registered
227 Posts
robertc65 said:
What is the proper terminology when refering to two separate systems? I was under the impression that zoning was a single system with multiple thermostats and dampers to control where and when the air should go. Are two separate systems a type of zoning also?
In a broad stroke, yes you could refer to it as a "type" of zoning since one system is upstairs and one system is downstairs. Most generally when referring to a house with zoning or a "zoned system" you are thinking of the latter with dampners and a room sensors etc.

·
NICKTECH
273 Posts
the proper terminology for zoning is basically with in one building, the ability to control different areas with different temp using independant t-stats or sensors. reguardless if it is multiple systems, or multiple zone valves or dampers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts