Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Here’s colonial door stop used as shoe.
Bottom pic is classy.

Hell was thinking it was laid DOWN to cover those pesky large gaps that happen to the valiant Nome Depot sub-contractors.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,395 Posts
Here’s colonial door stop used as shoe.
I used basecap as shoe moulding in my own home, partly because I liked the look, but mainly because I made all my own trim & I had the base cap knife in the moulder & I was to lazy to tool up to run other moulding.

My house is another reason for shoe, I ran 5" oak baseboards. You're not bending 5" over slight humps & sags. The other option is to scribe every stick of base to the floor.

·
Sean
5,467 Posts
quarter round came in to use because people would do an overlay - whether vinyl, another layer of wood, etc... & were to lazy to remove the baseboard which in some cases I can understand i.e. 1x10 stock with plaster over it

as also mentioned above as baseboard became thinner it wouldn't cover the gap

the final item is not all floors stay at the same plane so there would be a gap which most customers wouldn't accept

Between these three items it became almost synonymous with how things should be so even when it isn't needed most people install it / request it

Me, I try to educate HO's & skip it all together - one helpful item is mention how much closer to the walls they can place furniture, with that they have the green & you can knock it out pretty quick

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
quarter round came in to use because people would do an overlay - whether vinyl, another layer of wood, etc... & were to lazy to remove the baseboard which in some cases I can understand i.e. 1x10 stock with plaster over it

as also mentioned above as baseboard became thinner it wouldn't cover the gap

the final item is not all floors stay at the same plane so there would be a gap which most customers wouldn't accept

Between these three items it became almost synonymous with how things should be so even when it isn't needed most people install it / request it

Me, I try to educate HO's & skip it all together - one helpful item is mention how much closer to the walls they can place furniture, with that they have the green & you can knock it out pretty quick
But shoe works in all these situations. There is no use I know of for quarter round.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,540 Posts
Roman moldings were frequently built up based on arcs of a circle, including quarter round and half round. Functionally, it's the simplest mold you can top square base with.

I'll sometimes use it to strengthen a glue joint in carcass work, but most of the time there is a better stylistic profile if it's going to be visible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
really ??
who cares what we think?
we`ll all install thing in people homes that we would have in our own house.

like it?
yea, in the 920`s homes in the historic homes , where its the norm.
in the new 2019 house , no i don`t.
but are there to do , and not think, per say.

i did a kitchen where the designer wanted bubble gum pink formica , and speckled - robin egg - looking countertops
sounded hideous ,
but when done , it actually looked good.
had another client where another designer had us do the whole condo in a theme of purple , and gold !
looked good after it was done
i had a client have us go to the everglades , and buy cypress logs from the indians .
he had us mount these in the ceiling and connect them so they looked like tree branches.looked ridiculous as we did it , but he loved it!.

put,Mirrors on the ceiling of a couple over 60 YEARS OLD.....ETC

PAYS THE BILLS

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
really ??
who cares what we think?

PAYS THE BILLS
Sometimes gently nudging people in the right direction pays the bills even better, and gives you more usable portfolio material that will sell future projects too.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
AND THAT'S why you use a base shoe molding. Easily conforms to the variances in wood floors like that. Caulk?, that is a painters or handyman's fix, not a someone who takes pride in his workmanship of wood. Yup this flooring forum, but if the finish carpentry looks like hell, you look like hell.

:laughing: Smiling miters hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The thing that bugs me when using 1/4 round or shoe, is where the base ends into the door casing. What do you do? Cut a 45 and call it good? Round off the end? Any way looks kind of hokey to me.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
Return it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
End clipped at 22.5º angle, leaving a flat end, flat is planed out to the face of the casing.

Tom
both solutions are fine for paint grade work.

on stain grade the edge of the casing is slightly/micro rounded.

no way to return or bevel in to without there being a noticeable gap.

a base plinth block will remedy the situation.

however, i will admit not all budgets allow for this solution.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
both solutions are fine for paint grade work.

on stain grade the edge of the casing is slightly/micro rounded.

no way to return or bevel in to without there being a noticeable gap.

a base plinth block will remedy the situation.

however, i will admit not all budgets allow for this solution.
22.5º returns happen all the time in the midwest with stain grade trim.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
22.5º returns happen all the time in the midwest with stain grade trim.

Tom
happens all the time out here also.

i have just been on custom work where such a detail was not accepted.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts